EQ'ing Compression for Myspace?

ad0lescnts

Hello,
Does anyone have any tips or tricks to manipulate songs before uploading them to myspace? I'm going to be uploading some hard rock/classic metal songs and just want to make it come through the best through the crappy sound of myspace file compression.

any comments are greatly appreciated!
thanks,
Tyler

i would bounce the track to a 128kbs mp3, then load it into your DAW and smash the crap out of it with some limiter

then EQ that until it sounds ok. turn off the limiter, re-render as mp3, and then upload

in all honesty, myspace playback sounds worse than 128k mp3

i'd assume that they compress whatever is uploaded, in order to get playback through shitty computer speakers and whatnot, and downgrade the quality a bit from there, to increase streaming times

SO...i would think that smashing a 128 mp3 would be your best bet to emulate their audio mangling

Personally I'd put up a meSpace page, but I'd put my music on something like lightningMP3.com and then link to those from the meSpace page. Even a SoundClick link will sound better than the proprietary meSpace format.

G.

Personally I'd put up a meSpace page, but I'd put my music on something like lightningMP3.com and then link to those from the meSpace page. Even a SoundClick link will sound better than the proprietary meSpace format.

G.

I thought about using lightningmp3 but I don't want people to be able to download the song.

i would bounce the track to a 128kbs mp3, then load it into your DAW and smash the crap out of it with some limiter

then EQ that until it sounds ok. turn off the limiter, re-render as mp3, and then upload

Then you would end up with a 128KBPS version of a 128KBPS MP3. Quality would be a lot worse.

I'd maybe render the WAV as a 96KBPS MP3 file. Or whatever bitrate MySpace uses.

Load it up in your DAW. Apply whatever effects (EQ) to make it sound better. Save those effects settings as presets. Then go back to your project, apply those effects and re-render as WAV. Finally, take that WAV, render as MP3 and upload to MySpace.

Myspace plays at 22050 Hz. It doesn't sound compressed or limited in general, as I heared some rather dynamic examples there. This one for example. They are merely lacking any high frequencies. Worse than the actual mp3 is the player though, as it does a really poor resampling job to 44100 Hz for no apparent reason, resulting in a lot of mirror frequencies.

Thus, the best thing when mastering for Myspace is probably doing it at 22050 Hz. Don't ruin the track with excessive compression or such things, as it will only sound worse.

All I know is that when I upload a file as an mp3 at 128, it immediately shows up on the player. if I upload something at any other bitrate, there is a delay of several minutes or even several hours, evidently waiting for a conversion.

All I know is that when I upload a file as an mp3 at 128, it immediately shows up on the player. if I upload something at any other bitrate, there is a delay of several minutes or even several hours, evidently waiting for a conversion.

Same here.
I've had many failed uploads, so I got into the habit of always using 128 and it works a lot faster and with less problems.

Hello,
Does anyone have any tips or tricks to manipulate songs before uploading them to myspace? I'm going to be uploading some hard rock/classic metal songs and just want to make it come through the best through the crappy sound of myspace file compression.

any comments are greatly appreciated!
thanks,
Tyler

Yeah, I have some tips. Track them right. Mix them well. That's all you need to do and they will sound pretty good. It they are iffy to begin with, they will suffer horribly.

Myspace plays at 22050 Hz. It doesn't sound compressed or limited in general, as I heared some rather dynamic examples there. This one for example. They are merely lacking any high frequencies. Worse than the actual mp3 is the player though, as it does a really poor resampling job to 44100 Hz for no apparent reason, resulting in a lot of mirror frequencies.

Thus, the best thing when mastering for Myspace is probably doing it at 22050 Hz. Don't ruin the track with excessive compression or such things, as it will only sound worse.

So possibly they use 22050 Hz sample rate MP3 at 128 KBPS? That would explain it.

On some other forum the conclusion was come to that it's the myspace player that sounds like crap, not anything they are doing to the files. I don't know for sure.

Here is an example how it looks like on a spectral view. Looks as bad as it sounds, like a really poor resampling job.
mirrorau6.png

i exported one of my songs at 320 kbps. It uploaded to myspace properly , but i'm not sure if they converted it. check it out... it's called "The sunrise's Light"

http://www.myspace.com/torsenstarrow

people tell me the quality is pretty good. I remember when i first uploaded it sounded like crap, the hi-hats sounded really thin and kinda like electronic hi hats. so i changed the quality and uploaded it.

Tyler

people tell me the quality is pretty good.
In this case, the style seems rather forgiving as there are mainly percussive sounds going on at around 10kHz, thus all the mirror frequencies are barely distracting.
Also the higher bitrate apparently has the effect that the holes at around 10 kHz are almost gone which are present in your other songs.

Still, you could try a 22050 Hz 128 kbps mp3 (encode it without a lowpass filter) and see if it makes a difference. With joint stereo, 128 kbps should be enough at that sample frequency.

Back