EQ!? Your thoughts please

sosob

EQ and mastering should not be used in the same sentence (except now)..I hate the thought that professional mastering engineers would use any kind of EQ in a final master! I'm outraged that people make i living out of primarily using an EQ for mastering!!!!- i don't care if it's loaded with hot vintage tubes either!.. If it needs any kind of EQ level adjustment it needs to be remixed, simple as that. Throw your EQ in the bin now!!!! There are 101 ways of tweaking frequencies without using an EQ!!!- Umm Hello? heard of r.e.v.e.r.b ???! -my 2 cents.

Two of the pro mastering people on this site said recently if they were only allowed one device to master with it would be an EQ. So there!

I partly agree. If the guy is mastering a multitrack version, I guess it could be concidered part of the mastering process. But if it's just a stereo mix, I hate when an eq is applied to the stereo track.

sosob said:
EQ and mastering should not be used in the same sentence (except now)..I hate the thought that professional mastering engineers would use any kind of EQ in a final master! I'm outraged that people make i living out of primarily using an EQ for mastering!!!!- i don't care if it's loaded with hot vintage tubes either!.. If it needs any kind of EQ level adjustment it needs to be remixed, simple as that. Throw your EQ in the bin now!!!! There are 101 ways of tweaking frequencies without using an EQ!!!- Umm Hello? heard of r.e.v.e.r.b ???! -my 2 cents.
Most of what you believe is simply not true.... there are many tools available for use in the mastering process, including EQ.... but those are the TOOLS, not the process. The process is critical listening and analyzing of the sound. The end result is a polishing of the final mix (ie, making a great mix an outstanding one).... and by no means does adding a half dB of EQ somewhere necessitate a remix - that's simply nonsense.......

As to the use of reverb for tweaking frequencies, what the hell are you blabbering about?????

i wouldn't giev this guy too much of your breath. he posted in another thread telling somebody to try looking on limewire for "free" recording software.. then he posted about how waves l1 is the best if you can afford it in another thread

Saying that MEs should not use EQ is like saying that cooks should not use salt, draftspeople should not use rulers, or blacksmiths should not use anvils.

G.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
Saying that MEs should not use EQ is like saying that cooks should not use salt, draftspeople should not use rulers, or blacksmiths should not use anvils.

G.
Well he has a point then! :mad::mad:

Damn gear snobs ... or something ... :confused:

I can't even imagine not using EQ's... Especially when clients insist on "loud" - Do you know how much EQ'ing it takes sometimes to make room (and make up) for that kind of volume? :eek:

I would spit on an ME if he added reverb to my mix! naw, just kidding, thats gross.

treymonfauntre said:
i wouldn't giev this guy too much of your breath. he posted in another thread telling somebody to try looking on limewire for "free" recording software.. then he posted about how waves l1 is the best if you can afford it in another thread
Sorry, but what is your point? are you disagreeing that waves L1 isnt good for dithering..and that you can't get free software from a p2p?..i don't get your angle. :confused:

Massive Master said:
I can't even imagine not using EQ's... Especially when clients insist on "loud" - Do you know how much EQ'ing it takes sometimes to make room (and make up) for that kind of volume? :eek:

hey massive, I would be interested to know what your approach is on this. maybe you can PM me.

MadAudio said:
Two of the pro mastering people on this site said recently if they were only allowed one device to master with it would be an EQ. So there!
Well this is the reason i posted my post. It's time for a new attitude. We get all these folk saying how great all these recordings from the 60's/70's sound but yet all these so-called wonderfully crafted albums from the 80's and 90's when EQ's were making such an impact on sound quality failed to rate. The emphesis on mastering should be on adding dimension (be it compression or other) to the already mixed music. It should be in the finishing stage, the EQ levels should be set in the mix-down process.It's no wonder music sounds so over produced these days with the attitude that using an EQ should be used to correct any errors that should have been balanced in mixing. Because, if you have to use an EQ you are correcting these "errors" which shouldnt even exist. C'mon, don't let these people sell you stuff you don't need. New attitudes please. peace!

sosob said:
Well this is the reason i posted my post. It's time for a new attitude. We get all these folk saying how great all these recordings from the 60's/70's sound but yet all these so-called wonderfully crafted albums from the 80's and 90's when EQ's were making such an impact on sound quality failed to rate. The emphesis on mastering should be on adding dimension (be it compression or other) to the already mixed music. It should be in the finishing stage, the EQ levels should be set in the mix-down process.It's no wonder music sounds so over produced these days with the attitude that using an EQ should be used to correct any errors that should have been balanced in mixing. Because, if you have to use an EQ you are correcting these "errors" which shouldnt even exist. C'mon, don't let these people sell you stuff you don't need. New attitudes please. peace!

I don't think you understand something very basic, but I do not have the tools to explain it to you. :(

chessrock said:
How is reverb supposed to tweak frequencies?

Simply explained, big rooms: bass. medium room: mid .small rooms:treble.
Sound balance and definition are easily achievable adding reverb.Im positive most of you have software that enables adding 'room reberb' you just have to balance it.This will add dimension and space rather than frequency volume is what you only achieve using an EQ.

Massive Master said:

Define "loud"...does it mean when your ears hurt from adding too much volume on the EQ?
Using an EQ in this manner will only make your production one-dimensional,noisy and fatiquing to the ear - i mean..where does using an EQ actually stop?.If they're a "loud" group it should have been tracked/mixed loud then you would only need slight compression to achieve ultimate loudness.Yes, you do need a vacation.

Back