EQ plugins

I've been reading all the great advice here and I'm finally to the point where I'm going to start mixing a few tracks that I recorded with a friend of mine. they are acoustic guitar, vocals and harmonica. I've messed around with the EQ that ships with Sonar but I'm wondering if there are any EQs that you could recommend. Free would be awesome but if there is something out there that's much better that's not hundreds I'd be interested in hearing about them too.

cut don't boost
cut don't boost
cut don't boost

The cut don't boost method is not always true. When I am dealing with vocals and if I feel like it needs some low end. Then I will add some lows. so basically u just need 2 do what your ear tells u. As long as u get a great sound when u are done, it doesn't matter how u get there. (To an extent, because me personally I never process my waves because I might want to go back and change something later and if u process it then u cant change it.)

"Cut don't boost" is one of those oversimplifications that was born from a kernel of truth, but has been so oversmplified and generalized as to have lost most of it's meaning.

The main idea is that often the best way to make an instrument that doesn't sound as pure as it should sound purer with EQ - if that's really what it needs - is to remove the "impurities" (so to speak) such as some overly-resonant frequencies or unwanted coloration added by the room or signal chain; that adding other stuff by boosting EQ does not get rid of the bad stuff, it'll still be there when you're done boosting.

However, that does not mean that on should *never* boost EQ. It just means that you don't get rid of anything bad by just boosting the good.

Now, back to your question; for free stuff, Voxengo's EssEQ is surprisingly useful and good-sounding for just a simple 7-band graphic plug. I like using it when touching up 2mixes in pre-mastering.

But for the real deal, see if you can find someone selling a legal used version of Roger Nichols Digital Frequal-izer or Elemental Audio's Equium (the same thing at the core).

G.

I've been reading all the great advice here and I'm finally to the point where I'm going to start mixing a few tracks that I recorded with a friend of mine. they are acoustic guitar, vocals and harmonica. I've messed around with the EQ that ships with Sonar but I'm wondering if there are any EQs that you could recommend. Free would be awesome but if there is something out there that's much better that's not hundreds I'd be interested in hearing about them too.

cut don't boost
cut don't boost
cut don't boost

doesnt your sonar come with the sonitus EQ and the LP64?

you'll be hard pushed to find a freebie or even bought EQ to compete with these, why arent they working for you?

If its a bit of colour you want De La Mancha does a budget set of "vintage" EQs that do colour the sound but the ones with sonar are more than enough for just about any project Id say imo

I don't care whether I'm cutting or boosting; I just mess around with it until it either:

(a.) sounds good, or
(b.) sounds less bad (which is almost the same as good)

Back