eq on overheads?

tubbabubba22

hey guys. i was wondering about how you guys like to eq your overhead drum mics. do u like to use some of the lower end and try and pick up the whole kit? or do u like to cut the lower end and just try and pick up cymbals and let the close mics do the rest? let me know what you guys like to do. thanks

One example.
My "O/Hs" (actually placed to the side and rear either side of the drummer -but that's an 'isolation' compromise) are 'the kit' to a large degree. To that I add snare, close kick, most of the time a 'front of kick/kit, and a cymbal pair. These often get high passed as thier roll is 'top end/width candy' option. But the QTC-1's on the kit just get a bit of trim as needed.
:)

I tend to leave mine pretty raw....except the last thing I worked on was really mellow, and I wanted almost no boom to the kick, so I did drop the low end some, and it sounded pretty good.

It depends on the application... If it's a big metal-thrasher, I'd likely roll out anything that resonates. If it's more "raw" sounding pop, jazz, etc., I try to capture the overheads so they stand on their own and use the close-mic'd drums as "attack" and a low-end anchor for the overhead tracks.

Or anything in between...

so pop/rock/folk rock music you would leave the overheads kinda flatter and try and warm up the rest of the set? dont just make them cymbal mics right?

The more 'real' you want the drums to sound, the more you leave the overheads alone. Then you would use the close mics (if there are any) to supplement the sound in the overheads.

The more over-the-top slick you want the drums to sound, the more you use the overheads just to get the cymbals and attack of the drums. You would roll off everything below a certain frequency. Then you get most of your sound from the close mics.

It all depends on the sound you are going for.

Back