EQ on drum submix

Captain Ego

I have 2 recording at a time to do a drumset. So far I am running close kick and snare into one input and overhead and room into the other input. I have been experimenting with EQ on the premix on the individual Kick and Snare mics in the mixer to pull out a nicer tone, but predictably this makes the non-clipping volume much lower. Since they are being combined onto one track, I don't know if EQ afterwards would do much good for them, as the whole purpose is to have them stand out thicker than their presence in the OH and room mics. I like the tone, but I am worried about having the overall volume level dropped so much to avoid clipping. Should I just not do this?

edit: the only drums involved are kick, snare, hat, and a crash so I am not worried at all about toms.

Analog or digital recorder? No real need to worry about keeping levels hot recording digitally. Can always add gain later without noise issue. NEVER clip digital. Analog you will want to stay close to the reds to keep signal to noise ratio down.

Analog or digital recorder? No real need to worry about keeping levels hot recording digitally. Can always add gain later without noise issue. NEVER clip digital. Analog you will want to stay close to the reds to keep signal to noise ratio down.

Exactly. In fact, with digital, not only should you not clip...but you shouldn't even get anywhere near zero.

Are you short on inputs? I wouldn't share a channel with two mics unless absolutely necessary. If I had only 2 channels I would mic the kick on one and use the other for an overhead.

.. I have been experimenting with EQ on the premix on the individual Kick and Snare mics in the mixer to pull out a nicer tone, but predictably this makes the non-clipping volume much lower. ..

a) -already said.. don't record so close to clipping
b) why does the eq have to be boost? Maybe pull down what there's too much of?
NYMorningstar said:
Are you short on inputs? I wouldn't share a channel with two mics unless absolutely necessary. If I had only 2 channels I would mic the kick on one and use the other for an overhead.
1 kick and one well placed (right in about where you sit (+/- to balance.

@A) yeah only 2 inputs on my cheap lil recorder, I use a 1202 for the submix and have 1 condenser and 3 dynamic mics to work with

@B) turn down total and turn up individual EQ or turn down individual EQ and turn up total, either way there is an overall volume drop. It's just the knobs on the mixing board I don't have a parametric EQ, just a low/mid/high shelf.

Placement options are limited my current working mancave is about 8'x9'x9' high, including drum set, amp stack, and desk. I have the kick mic placed where I like it, and the OH just hangs in the space, almost directly above the kick mic (2" in front of kick drum) at mouth level for a 5'9" person (It's multitasking).

Back