Eq makes space for vocals

ste20man

Hello.

Just one more question for today. Thanks for all replies, this is a great site with loads of helpful people.

If I am going to cut some freq from a guitar say, so that it allows more space for the vocals, which 'bit' should you cut?

As far as I can tell the vocals have a lot of frequencies. Which do you tackle?

I don't think you can cut all of the vox frequencies from the guitar because there would hardly be anything left.

I've attached a a frequency pic of my vox. Can anyone tell me where my voice is sitting and where I would be best cutting the guitar to make room for the vox?

Hope that makes sense, cheers, Ste.

Attachments

• paz freq sing.jpg
    paz freq sing.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 28
Like you suspect these things overlap naturally and it's not a matter of shaping all that deeply, but as an aid to fit things. Also which frequencies depends on the paticular combinations of the tones of each you're working with. As well there is where say the guitar's tone might be out of balance to begin with. That might be something to look at first.

You really have to do this by ear, not a frequency analysis. However, as a starting point, have a play with the 250-600 Hz range which is where a lot of the energy of the human voice sits. However, if intelligibility is an issue you may need to play with the 1200-2400 range a bit.

I usually mix all the instruments in a sub mix on a bus and then cut them all together--but only a little...maybe 3dB or so. You don't want to substantially change the music, just make things meld better.

Back