Eq issue.

Barrage NP

Alright, I've been analyzing commercially produced cd's and some beats by artist on the net(probably not mastered), some of them but mostly the commercial mixes have what seems like no mid frequencies(no mud), very flat sound scapes. What frequecies need to be gotten rid of to get your mix almost like those commercial releases.(I realize it won't be as good, but a little clearance of that range would be very nice).

I have read and read and read some more, any advise like q settings and gain dips in a certain ranges. I use q10 and sometimes digirack.

an example of this would be any commercially released rap song, It must not be specified equipment, but rather a frequency zone filtered out. any tips? thanks.

If it is filtering would you recommend a certain plugin for pro tools to do the job?

Without getting into the specifics, it's not simply a set of frequencies. It's years of practical experience in several and various techniques.

I attempt to do VERY little EQ'ing on most jobs - Stabilizing the stereo image does much more for a master than tweaking the EQ.

For the most part, there is no "magic bullet" - Every mix is approached from it's root and processing is chosen and applied individually.

Some require almost nothing. Some are entirely different when they're done.

It's a long story...

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

Generally speaking, your best bet would be to use your ears and familiarize yourself with "sweeping." It is just what it sounds like -- you can do a search using EQ and "sweep" as your keywords if you want a more detailed explanation.

One area you might want to focus on are the low mids (between 200-400 hz), as well as some of the higher freqs (around 10 khz and above). Boosting some of the extreme highs can add a little extra sizzle and air, and can help articulate things so as to clear up some of the mud. Cutting some of the 300 hz region can help, also, but be careful as too much can wind up making your mix sound thin and/or harsh.

Very delicate balance between the low-mids and the extreme highs. If it wasn't tracked or mixed well in the first place, then you'll basically be trading one problem for another.

Back