EQ.. I don't buy it

Status
Not open for further replies.
...arguments about getting an accurate recording of a "performance" and keeping it "pure"(a crock of stuff IMHO)...

To me, that's the funniest part about the OP's perspective. If I understood correctly, he's in a trailer of some sorts, trying to capture an acoustic guitar that by his own admission sounded brittle...and from there it was all downhill.
So any conversation he made after that about how EQ is a waste and you need to capture the perfect sounds from the start so you don't ever need EQ...is pretty comical. I mean, he's preaching and not even following his own preaching. :D

The reality is, that even in a perfect space with an instrument that has no obvious issues in that space...you will probably need to touch things up with EQ later on, especially when you are mixing a bunch of tracks together.
And speaking of that...that OP also went on to scoff at the notion that anyone would need a "staggering 20-30 tracks"...I mean what planet are you on?
Sure, recording purely an acoustic guitar and voice is fine...nothing wrong with just that, but there SO MUCH MUSIC out there that has way more than those two elements, great sounding music, some of it utilizing a hundred or more tracks.
I mean really, how much fucking acoustic guitar and vocal music can anyone listen to! I think there ought to be a law!! :p
I feel like John Belushi in Animal House when he smashes that guy's acoustic against the wall.

There's a point where someone is clueless and they ask question here, and people in the know provide good answers, and the person picks up on that and gets on with their acquisitions of recording experience, etc. :thumbs up:

Then you have the ones who are clueless, and base all their counter-arguments on their cluelessness, and it's pretty obvious they are living in total denial, and are not really open to learning anything from the people here who are giving them good answers.
I mean...why do we even bother to try and educate them?
To me, they are just trolling...and even if they didn't come here to intentionally do that...the fact that they continue to live in denial and reject the info people here provide...well then, just go back to your world and work out whatever recording issues you have with whatever unrealistic approaches you think are better than the tried-n-true ones that have been in use for many years in studios world-wide.

Then again, let's not be too hasty to chase them away...'cuz there is a certain level of amusement watching someone repeatedly rejecting reality...so it's a good laugh for a couple of pages. :laughings:

To me, that's the funniest part about the OP's perspective. If I understood correctly, he's in a trailer of some sorts, trying to capture an acoustic guitar that by his own admission sounded brittle...and from there it was all downhill.
So any conversation he made after that about how EQ is a waste and you need to capture the perfect sounds from the start so you don't ever need EQ...is pretty comical. I mean, he's preaching and not even following his own preaching. :D

The reality is, that even in a perfect space with an instrument that has no obvious issues in that space...you will probably need to touch things up with EQ later on, especially when you are mixing a bunch of tracks together.
And speaking of that...that OP also went on to scoff at the notion that anyone would need a "staggering 20-30 tracks"...I mean what planet are you on?
Sure, recording purely an acoustic guitar and voice is fine...nothing wrong with just that, but there SO MUCH MUSIC out there that has way more than those two elements, great sounding music, some of it utilizing a hundred or more tracks.
I mean really, how much fucking acoustic guitar and vocal music can anyone listen to! I think there ought to be a law!! :p
I feel like John Belushi in Animal House when he smashes that guy's acoustic against the wall.

There's a point where someone is clueless and they ask question here, and people in the know provide good answers, and the person picks up on that and gets on with their acquisitions of recording experience, etc. :thumbs up:

Then you have the ones who are clueless, and base all their counter-arguments on their cluelessness, and it's pretty obvious they are living in total denial, and are not really open to learning anything from the people here who are giving them good answers.
I mean...why do we even bother to try and educate them?
To me, they are just trolling...and even if they didn't come here to intentionally do that...the fact that they continue to live in denial and reject the info people here provide...well then, just go back to your world and work out whatever recording issues you have with whatever unrealistic approaches you think are better than the tried-n-true ones that have been in use for many years in studios world-wide.

Then again, let's not be too hasty to chase them away...'cuz there is a certain level of amusement watching someone repeatedly rejecting reality...so it's a good laugh for a couple of pages. :laughings:

I had to cut 3dB @1.5k in my head just to read his posts. :)

Not everyone is good at this recording thing...

I'll talk to the administrative assistant...there's no excuse for that.
You just can't get good help these days.

I'll talk to the administrative assistant...there's no excuse for that.
You just can't get good help these days.

I think they're on vacation. I registered multiple complaints regarding my abuse and got an 'on vacation': robo-response.
:D

I called the US Post Office...their main Customer Service :laughings: number.
No option to speak with anyone...all automated....but on the net, someone said when they ask you for a tracking number and tell you that if it's got numbers and letters, to speak into the phone rather than punching in the numbers...you just say "Customer Service".
Now why doesn't the USPS TELL YOU THAT on their "Contact Us" webpage??? No, let's keep it a secret, 'cuz we really don't want people calling us to talk.

So at the prompt... I said "Customer Service"...and sure enough, the automated system connected me....and then I got a recorded message saying that my wait time was 1 hour an 3 minutes. :facepalm:

I hung up.

Now THAT'S *customer service* !!! :p

Haha! Yeah right! :D @ Steenamaroo

My post office adresses me by name. Even calls me mister.
When my po box is full, they call me on the phone to come empty it. Lol :D

My post office adresses me by name. Even calls me mister.
When my po box is full, they call me on the phone to come empty it. Lol :D

Not talking about the local PO, I know all of them...I'm talking about the main USPS Customer Service office.

I hadn't understood this issue would be quite so contentious . I don't believe my assertion is really all that radical . If people are happy to spend a lot of time adjusting with eq then fine . In my case it's a facility which I would find distracting at best. I'm sure that not everyone on this site would be able to claim ,by their own admission ,that their recording results were optimal .I'd be the first to admit that. Putting forward an argument that eq is really not the first place to look in the overall scheme of recording is is not an unhelpful comment .personally from my experience it's not even the last place to look. It merely a statement of personal testimony

Last edited:
Not talking about the local PO, I know all of them...I'm talking about the main USPS Customer Service office.
Yeah that kind of stuff blows.
About a year or so ago UPS went through some major changes. Even if I call my local hub, which used to pick up the phone and transfer you to the driver if needed, now routes ALL calls to Singapore.

Globalization and automation at it's finest. Geez. I can only imagine how bad things would be if we had global governance.

To the OP, using eq is just a damn fact of life. Get used to it. It wouldn't be on every console or daw if it wasnt needed. Quit fighting and just get with the program. :)

Yes .I could see my views on the proliferation of multi tracking facility even less popular . I won't even go there on that.

About a year or so ago UPS went through some major changes.

Well...UPS and FedEx provided live customer support fairly easily. You get the initial prompts, but just hitting "0" will get you to a live person in less than 1 minute.
USPS on the other hand is pitiful on the main/national customer service line.

It merely a statement of personal testimony

It's not about the statement...it's that your personal testimony is based on nearly zero experience with EQ...in a rather minimal recording/mixing situation...yet you attempt to reach some sort of broad, global conclusion.
That's not much of a "testimony".

Yes .I could see my views on the proliferation of multi tracking facility even less popular . I won't even go there on that.

Don't hold back...the weekend is here, we could use a new chuckle. :)
I'll guess that you've probably never or rarely even attempted multi-track recording or mixing considering your earlier view that 20-30 tracks is a "staggering" number of components to deal with.

It's not your views that are the problem...it's that you're making them on limited experience, and then drawing absolute conclusions from them.

I guess it's more or less a philosophy I've had to adopt .I had 24 track analogue at a time when creatively nothing was happening . Digital has afforded a more convenient format but I also deliberately took the view that I'd work with 8 track.i still believe at that level much can he achieved. Provided the ideas work i can get enough arrangement into that and focus more on sound and core ideas . That's the current philosophy . I'm much more interested now in creating base ideas and figuring whether or not they really work as best they can . Also to focus on each component more critically as to the recording itself . Subsequently I'd then add whatever arrangements . Basically I've pared it down with a view to starting modestly and from the ground up. It's a fairly prudent philosophy if you think about it

Hey.........even if you’re the only one who believes that........knock yourself out......let’s not let reality get in the way here. Blind denial must feel good I guess. In a strange way it almost seems as if you may have some issues with the equipment you have or the space you have or both..........and are desperately trying to rationalize why nothing better could ever be needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back