EQ Help?

Does anyone have any good links to recommended EQ and Freq. settings for varoius instruments?

I think you'd be better trying to to understand what specific frequency bands do to the sound when boosting or cutting. there are some good frequency spectrum tables out there which are very helpful.

It's very hard to say "boost 1-3khz and cut 700-900hz on distorted guitars" or whatever cuz it just depends so much from situation to situation.

To help you hear the frequencies i'd suggest a book by F. Alton-Everest entitled "Critical Listening Skills for Audio Professionals". It comes with a CD to help train your ears and is a very helpful tool for discerning frequencies and volume changes.

I think you'd be better trying to to understand what specific frequency bands do to the sound when boosting or cutting. there are some good frequency spectrum tables out there which are very helpful.

It's very hard to say "boost 1-3khz and cut 700-900hz on distorted guitars" or whatever cuz it just depends so much from situation to situation.

To help you hear the frequencies i'd suggest a book by F. Alton-Everest entitled "Critical Listening Skills for Audio Professionals". It comes with a CD to help train your ears and is a very helpful tool for discerning frequencies and volume changes.

Would it be pointless buying this book without good monitors and even room treatment? How much did it help improve your skillzzz with an EQ?

I'm thinking about buying it but not sure it's worth it if my speakers and room are lying to me. ;)

Would it be pointless buying this book without good monitors and even room treatment? How much did it help improve your skillzzz with an EQ?

I'm thinking about buying it but not sure it's worth it if my speakers and room are lying to me. ;)
While a good monitoring system and environment are key to being able to make good mixes, I think that book would help in any situation.

Think of it this way: With untrained ears, even the best monitoring environment is not going to help; a tin ear is a tin ear whether it's listening to The Three Tenors live in person or the neighbor's cat screeching on a transistor radio. OTOH, With ears trained to hear the difference between 2k and 4k and 50dBSPL and 65dBSPL, not only can one get the most even out of a comprimised monitoring situation, but it can also help to determine just what those comprimises actually *are*. How does one tune their acoustics if they don't have the ears to tell them what needs tuning?

G.

Good points Glen. ;)

I think I'm going to pick up that book along with 2 others, Mixing Engineer's Handbook, and "Mastering Audio: The Art & Science" or something like that.

Fortunately, I've been using these little speakers for so long now I've gotten so used to them. I'd like monitors to be able to hear all the details and whatnot, but translation has never really been much of a problem for me. :confused:

I'd still like to go into an EQ, already knowing around which frequency range to boost/cut, and why. And what each frequency band does to the sound.

I think the book with some practice/critical listening will help with that a lot.

Does anyone have any good links to recommended EQ and Freq. settings for varoius instruments?

Oh, and to answer the OP, check out Southside Glenn's frequency chart. Doesn't tell you what frequencies to cut/boost but it does show you the frequency range (and various other things) for lots of different instruments. ;)

I think that, along with the book, and maybe even some reference EQ charts will help a lot.

Back