EQ coloration

Bass Master "K"

After reading up loads of info on mixing one thing that I have repeatedly seen as how it is much better to use subtractive EQ than additive EQ because boosting frequencies has the tendancy to start to color those frequencies from the unit that is doing the boosting.

I think most of the articles and books I have read are dealing with pro studios and lots of analog gear. Does the same thing apply even if you are recording and mixing exclusively in the digital domain?

Since I want to learn the right way that would help me regardess of what gear I am working on I use the subtractive EQing like they suggest, but I was just curious if coloration is something exlusive to analog or if it happens in the digital realm as well.

Last edited:
Subtractive EQ is appealing not because of "colorations" [they occur in both directions] but because you will tend to lessen the available overall headroom by constantly adding to the signal.

One of the things that really helps to add "space" to an arrangement is to add things in a 'subtractive' manner [the "less is more" school of thought]... and space is very often a good thing.

Best of luck.

Back