EQ and Compression Presets?

drbabbers

All,
can anyone recommend any software based EQ and compressors that come bundled with presets?

For example a compression plug in with a preset for a bass drum..

Thanks.
D

I'm under the impression most plug-ins have their own presets. But then again, I've been using UAD stuff lately and haven't really looked at anything else in a while. So, I'll say UAD plugs.

However, most people will advise not to use presets, that each track for each song will have to be evaluated by how it fits in with the other tracks of that song. Presets are only what some software engineer deems to be the correct settings without listening to your song. It doesn't typically work that way.

I'm of the opinion that presets can make for a good starting point, but they should be tweaked for each song. Sometimes tweaked a lot, sometimes just a little. Ain't no two songs the same.

Thanks for the advice. I will check out the UAD plugins. Any specifically that you recommend for EQ and compression?

D

Thanks for the advice. I will check out the UAD plugins. Any specifically that you recommend for EQ and compression?

D

When you buy UAD plugs, you have to get a DSP card to process them. The cards come with 5 free plugs that sound great. From there you can purchase more. You can find used UAD-1's for not a lot of money. here's one available on ebay.
Universal Audio UAD-1e PCIe Express Card | eBay

Although the guy claims there are no plugs, I'm pretty sure the 5 free ones are still included.

When you buy UAD plugs, you have to get a DSP card to process them. The cards come with 5 free plugs that sound great. From there you can purchase more. You can find used UAD-1's for not a lot of money. here's one available on ebay.
Universal Audio UAD-1e PCIe Express Card | eBay

Although the guy claims there are no plugs, I'm pretty sure the 5 free ones are still included.

Hmmm ideally I am not looking to purchase any additional hardware for my setup, but I will take a look though thank you mate.

Does anyone have any experience or opinions with the Waves plugins? Ideally I am after VST/AU based plugins that I can install straight into my DAW.

D

Have you searched here? KVR: Virtual Instruments, Virtual Effects, VST Plugins, Audio Units (AU), DirectX (DX), Universal Binary Compatibility - Audio Plugin News, Reviews and Community

I downloaded some great free plugins - there is a cool EQ called Line 12 or something like that (has a 12 in the name) has good presets.

I use the "Modern" plugins - I think those compressors have presets - at any rate they have a list of cool rack style plugins that are emulators of classic equipment Welcome to Antress Modern Plugins

For example a compression plug in with a preset for a bass drum..
They'd probably have all sorts of presets -- Generally, one is as useless as the next unless it just so happens to be precisely the preset that you need.

For instance -- If you have a muddy sounding kick with a lot of 200Hz-ish boxiness and no slap but it has potential slap at 4k and you find a preset that's called "Kick drum - Take Out 200Hz Mud and Add Slap at 4k" then there's your preset.

But a preset that says "kick drum?" That could be anything. And for a kick that actually sounds good on its own, it could potentially ruin it.

I will check out some of those thank you. So far when I have been testing plugins, the Waves plugins are awesome!

I must admit that learning EQ and compression can become technical and confusing. This is how I personally feel. In fact the whole recording package can be a challenge for a newbie like myself. There are so many acroyms and terms that need to be learnt and understood. A lot of it is still jargon, but I am getting there. I just finished recording Guerrilla Vol2 and learnt a lot of helpful stuff as well as theory.

Having a preset with any plugin to me personally is very helpful as I can use it as a guide and can tweak it to my requirement or personal taste.

D

presets are an ok place to start if you don't really know how to use a compressor, eq, or reverb. But, what you should really do is research how these things work so you can make your own presets which will actually work for you.

one thing to keep in mind with compressor presets is the threshold is totally dependent on your recording level, so pull the threshold up or down to get the preset somewhere near where you want it.

presets are an ok place to start if you don't really know how to use a compressor, eq, or reverb. But, what you should really do is research how these things work so you can make your own presets which will actually work for you.

one thing to keep in mind with compressor presets is the threshold is totally dependent on your recording level, so pull the threshold up or down to get the preset somewhere near where you want it.

Thanks for the info. My big moment is coming up this weekend! I am recording a 3 piece band with my Zoom R16 + my DAW (Reaper). Can't wait to try out my Shure SM57!! Also looking forward to playing with my Waves plugins.

I also must say that the Guerilla Home Recording Book is an absolute must! So helpful for newbies like myself.

D

Yeah I was looking at the website and I was like - damn these things are the same price as hardware

Back