Epiphone EJ200CE or.....

ridgeback

I've been looking for another acoustic electric. I want the electronics for gigging but also want a decent accoustic sound for recording. Let me say this first I HATE EVERYTHING OVATION. I've tried most of them and found them very unnatural feeling and lacking in acoustic sound quality. So much for them. Ibanez seems to have quite a variety out there but I haven't had a chance to try them out. I did however get a chance to try a EJ200CE and really liked the action and acoustic sound on it. The only thing I didn't like and what I don't like about most acoustic/electrics is that they are cutaways. I just never liked the way they look. Also my Hummingbird has Martin Gold Series P/U's in it and it was a spendy add on but sounds nice through the PA. What are your opinions on the electronics they're putting in acoustics nowadays. Are you better off buying an acoustic and having P/U's installed.
Budget = $600
The EJ200 is http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_epiphone_ej200ce_acousticelectric_guitar?full_sku=518652%2e010

First off... I've only been playing for 3 years, so I'm sure my opinion shouldn't be more helpful than most others... but from the 4 guitars i've owned, I'd have to say that feel and sound is everything! names are just names to me.. I mean you're better off calling a Fender Betty and an Ibanez Sally!

If you have a guitar store where you live, go there and don't even look at the names! Just look at the price ranges, and try every one of them out. The feel and sound should mean more than the name! For example, I didnt choose my Yamaha because it's a Yamaha... I chose it because I like how the strings sit closer to the fingerboard, and the strings I use (Elixir Nanoweb Custom Light) give my acoustic a nice and rich sound, giving me more bass and treble and less mid's! My $200 acoustic feels and sounds better than more of the $800-$1200 acoustics I've tried!! You know what I mean? But I'm a big fan of the Ibaen Acoustic Electrics, like I said, it all depends on the strings and how much you like the feel and sound of the guitar!

As for pickups.. I bought a $140 LR Baggs M1 Pickup and had it installed at the local GuitarCenter store. It sounds amazing with my LR Baggs Para Acoustic Preamp! But I'm still trying to find a good amp.. i mostly use all this on my computer for recording through my Line 6 TonePort!

I would go for something used on that kind of money, and figure that you would get a better guitar if you did....

I like the stuff being made by D-TAR myself, and that is all I am using right now when I plug in live. Might try out some of the Yamaha stuff, they sound and play well, so for around $400 or so get one of those, and then throw in a D-TAR wavelength pickup.... should be smokin'

Back