$%^ ^&*( Epiphone acoustic electric

James HE

a spoonfull weighs a ton
I bought this epiphone. OK guitar. Sounds pretty decent acousticly. Had a good price. electronics. Sweet that's what i need. It replace a fender acoustic electric that was pretty cool but did not like microphones. I played the thing in the store for about 20 minutes, just dicking around. I rent a rehersal space from this store, so I'm in there all the time and I have a good relationship with them. When I was playing it in the store i just didn't bother to plug it in. Every acoustic-electric pickup and preamp sounds like crap to me. As long as it has a couple bands of EQ I can run it into my Art tube MP and my amp and get a decent sound. "I really don't care" is what i said to matt when he asked if I wanted to plug it in. bad mistake.

Well, the preamp just didn't work. So I take it back and 2 months later I finally got it back. Epiphone no longer uses that particular pre-amp and after much haggling by the store, they finally send out a replacement under warranty. The tech manages to get the different preamp installed with out having to make any changes. OK great I have my guitar back. First I recorded it miced up with the 603's I just got that same day (good timing, very happy day for me.. lol) and it sounded pretty good. A nice workable guitar sound, almost surprising from a $400 guitar. But i got this guitar mostly for live use. Plug it in, tweak the EQ.. man that sounds sweet ripping through the tube mp. (relativly speaking still sounds like crap cause that what acoustic-electrics are) I play a few songs, working on my acoustic set. I'm pretty happy, then i start to realize that the high e strings volume is about twice as loud as the rest of the guitar. so much so that it is utterly useless for some tunes. So now I'm just kinda stuck with it. I guess maybe I could go through a bunch of crap with epiphone and the store and get something done about it, but that seems like wasting my breath. I'll go into the store today and talk to the owner about it, and see what my options are with them.

What could cause this problem in the first place? anyone had a similar experience? Is there something i could do to the saddle or with the pickup to balance out the strings a little? The lower strings are lower volume wise all the way through, not in a real noticable way, the high e string is the real problem.

shot myself in the foot with this one i did.

James, I don't have any experience with A/E guitars, and have no idea what would cause your problem, but I would do what ever it takes to get it corrected. The store should take it upon them selves to correct the problem, either thru Epiphone, Gibson, or thru their own customer service, by making it right with YOU first, and then they can get the manufacture to make it right for them.

Just MO

dtb

Sounds like an undersaddle transducer that is getting a bit too much pressure from the saddle under the high E. Take it back and ask the tech to soften the note a bit. The way they do that is to sand a very small amount of the underside of the saddle at that point. It's time consuming because its trial and error.

You can test the idea out yourself by pulling the saddle and setting a little slip of paper as a shim for the lower five strings, but leave the high E alone. Try it with one, then two slips. The shim puts a little more pressure on the piezo at whatever location you place it and makes it a stronger signal. Might even it out a bit, and if not, no harm done.

Ah thanks treeline. That's info i was looking for! I hadn't gotten to messing with the saddle yet. My theory was to put something underneath the high-e, to try and dampen it. But by what you are saying, the opposite is true. good to know. I was also going to try to put a small bit of cloth on top of the saddle under the e -string. I'll trying that first cuz it dosen't involve restringing.. heh i'm lazy.

saddle

the best thing to do for that instead of shimming it would be to take out the saddle and make sure there is no dust or anything in the saddle slot causeing the High e to force more pressure on the undersaddle transducer. If there is nothing in the slot get yourself 220 or 320 sandpaper and put it on somthing VERY FLAT like a peice of glass or a table top that you can see and check that is real flat. move the dalle back and forth just enough until the whole bottom of the saddle shows scratch marks from the sandpaper and you will knonw that the saddle underside is flat and the string to string balance shoudl be fine.

Back