Epic noob question: to PC or not to PC and if not, how?

Enchilada

Strange person.
Hey guys! I used to post around here about 4 years ago but temporarily put aside my recording studio to go back to uni.
I'm thinking of running my home studio as a business and I have a few questions in areas I am not at all familiar.

I was running a Soundcraft Spirit live mixer (that I have now downsized to PreSonus Bluetube) into an M-Audio Delta 1010LT. My PC is fairly fast; Phenom II X3 720, 4GB ram and plenty of HDD space but I really want to record digitally without a PC. Microphones and rack gear is not an issue at present because I am familiar with, and have some already. I also plan to acquire another mixer soon (was thinking an Allen & Heath GL series). Will it be better for me to stick with the PC and buy another couple of Delta 1010LT (or other interface) to give me more stereo channels or should I pick up a dedicated digital hard disk recorder.

Now, this is where I hit a snag. I have done a lot of recording with a standalone multitrack recorder (used to own a Korg D16) and I also have much experience with computer recording but I worry about it. What if, as it often tends to do, Windows cracks a wobbly during a take or something similar? This is why I’m thinking a hard disk recorder and all rack gear. My (now quite long winded) issue is I have no idea where to even start looking into how to design such a studio. Can somebody PLEASE point me in the right direction? I’ve had a punt at the search function and some on-line guides but I really don’t know where to start looking.

So I guess what I want to know is, to PC or not to PC and if not, how?

THANKS A MILLION!!!!!!!!!

Ench

Last edited:
Oh yeah, another reason I'm thinking of moving away from a PC is I've always noticed lag through the headphones. Which throws every singer off who I have ever recorded with.

What if, as it often tends to do, Windows cracks a wobbly during a take or something similar?

^ That could happen (and does) with standalone hard-disk recorders, as well.

You make a good point regarding latency potential with computer-based systems. The latency will depend on a number of factors, but you've pointed out that you're using a quality interface on a fast computer with plenty of memory. In theory, this should minimize the latency factor, but it's still there to consider.

What you didn't mention is the level of editing that you intend to do, or the level of complexity of your projects. Do you intend to record solo acoustic artists? Full bands? Bands who may want to integrate samples? These would all be factors that may sway your decision one way or another. The more complicated the arrangements or editing needs, the more likely the need for a computer-based system...

If you want to run your studio as a buisness, I'm guessing you'll want to do a fair amount of editing after recording in order to give the client the product that they want. Imo, pc (or mac) is the most versatile option for editing and mixing on a budget.

I've been recording and mixing using pc's for more than five years now, and although they will undoubtedly have their hickups here and there, a well set up pc can be very smooth and stable.

My setup is very similar to the one you mentioned (delta 1010 etc.), and recording/monitoring latency has never been an issue, so my guess is that there are some driver issues or incorrectly configured settings that are causing problems.

In a nutshell, if i were you, i'd keep the pc. Hope that helps :)

^ That could happen (and does) with standalone hard-disk recorders, as well.

You make a good point regarding latency potential with computer-based systems. The latency will depend on a number of factors, but you've pointed out that you're using a quality interface on a fast computer with plenty of memory. In theory, this should minimize the latency factor, but it's still there to consider.

What you didn't mention is the level of editing that you intend to do, or the level of complexity of your projects. Do you intend to record solo acoustic artists? Full bands? Bands who may want to integrate samples? These would all be factors that may sway your decision one way or another. The more complicated the arrangements or editing needs, the more likely the need for a computer-based system...

I plan to record whatever needs recording. Full bands, string quartets, voice overs, acoustic duos, kids bands; whoever wants to pay me $$$ :D

If I stick with the PC I would do some editing and effects with software but I would prefer to mostly use hardware. I'd like to route tracks back through a mixer for levels, hardware dynamics and effects. I really don't like software mixing.

With the latency issue could I run the headphones from the mixer instead of the PC. Will that fix my latency issues?

Obviously for a full band I'd need more inputs so another Delta 1010 is in order.

Running your headphones from the mixer should fix the problem, i do it this way: Delta main outs --> stereo mixer input; main mixer outs --> studio monitors; mixer headphone out --> headphones or headphone amp.

If you want to run your studio as a buisness, I'm guessing you'll want to do a fair amount of editing after recording in order to give the client the product that they want. Imo, pc (or mac) is the most versatile option for editing and mixing on a budget.

I've been recording and mixing using pc's for more than five years now, and although they will undoubtedly have their hickups here and there, a well set up pc can be very smooth and stable.

My setup is very similar to the one you mentioned (delta 1010 etc.), and recording/monitoring latency has never been an issue, so my guess is that there are some driver issues or incorrectly configured settings that are causing problems.

In a nutshell, if i were you, i'd keep the pc. Hope that helps :)

Cheers for the advice. Yeah I will do a lot of editing, I just prefer to do it on hardware faders. The main reason I'm wanting a decent mixer is for the preamps but its secondary function will be giving me some hardware for mixing. I live in a country town and have only been to a few pro studios and none have had a PC so I'm not entirely sure if that's the usual way of using a mixer with a PC or not.

An up side of keeping my PC is it'll give me more $$$ for a better mixer. I'll be budgeting to spend around AUS$60,000 including construction so I am on a budget.

Running your headphones from the mixer should fix the problem, i do it this way: Delta main outs --> stereo mixer input; main mixer outs --> studio monitors; mixer headphone out --> headphones or headphone amp.

I've been lazy and just running straight out the PC into my headphone amp :eek:

I know that it is possible to record to pc and mix with harware faders, although i'm not exactly sure how to do that since I just mix my projects with my recording software (Sonar 7). I'm guessing you somehow route the split tracks back into the mixer so you can adjust their individual volumes using the faders, if this is what you mean.

I know that it is possible to record to pc and mix with harware faders, although i'm not exactly sure how to do that since I just mix my projects with my recording software (Sonar 7). I'm guessing you somehow route the split tracks back into the mixer so you can adjust their individual volumes using the faders, if this is what you mean.

Yep that's exactly how I'll do it.

Back