Epic intros

RFR

Just the other day I thought of the intro to

John Mellencamp’s song “I need a lover”.

The intro is phenomenal !

Another great intro is on the live Lou Reed album in the song “Sweet Jane”.

I can’t think of any others right now so that’s where Y’all come in.

Hence this thread.

Watcha got?

2nd immediately after that

Now, that version not only has a great intro, but it’s epic all the way around.

It makes the Beatles version sound like a carnival song to me.

But…… I thank them for the song’s creation…….So that Joe and his band could do it proper justice. :-)

Reactions: TAE
Yeah those are some good ones.

I like the intro to Xanadu by Rush.

And it's kinda messy but then resolves very strong: Cheap Trick's live version of Ain't That a Shame. Used to love to play that one.

And In The Evening by Zep is a cool intro.

I'm working and on my phone so no links.

Almost any Stones tune from the 70's. They had so many epic intros that weren't part of the song other than being in the intro.

Gimme Shelter, Brown Sugar, Monkey Man, and the list goes on.

One of my favorite intros ever is "Help!" because that intro would be any other band's greatest hook that would be used as the chorus all through the song. But, for the Beatles, it's just a throwaway intro that only happens at the beginning of the song and that's it.

The Rush intros are really good.

You might have to trust me on this one -- this live recording of Shania Twain in Vegas has an unexpectedly great intro, she must have hired a great arranger (and band!):

Reactions: TAE
Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner were the best. Listen to the interplay and the space that was left for the bass - and how good was that? Very underrated. There was a reason they were where they were on that album (and Get your Wings) and how they became Alice Cooper's band from then on.

The Best.

I wouldn't be surprised if one quarter {or maybe even more} of my entire music collection comprises of songs with great intros. I wouldn't know where to start, middle or end. I mean, Deep Purple's "Fireball", "Hey Joe", "Bloodsucker", "No One Came", "Gettin' Tighter" and "Drifter" roll off the mind without even having to think about it. And they're not even a drop in the overall ocean.
"Blue Skies" by the Jackson 5 is a killer. As is Beethoven's 5th Symphony in C Minor. "I want you - she's so heavy" by the Beatles. The list is endless. "Away From You" by Kansas. Dammit !

Back