Epi Valve Junior/Epi Valve Standard (10' speaker) Loud Enough over Drummer?

post.aux.fader

I'm looking at an Epi Vavle Junior (5W, Class A, 8 inch speaker) or a Valve Standard (5W, Class A, 10 inch speaker, DSP FX). Would I be heard over a drummer with an oak (read: LOUD) snare, and a bass 1x12?

Also, does the DSP FX on the Standard effect my nice Class A tube Tone?

thanks

Yes, if you put it on your shoulder like a boombox. :p

An amp with an 8" speaker just doesn't have enough sack to keep up with a really loud drummer. The response won't go low enough, and the coverage won't be very wide. Probably the same story with the 10''.

Does he have a full kit or just a snare? The 10" would probably be OK if he just plays snare.

Hook that 5-watter up to a 4X12 cab, and it would be a different story.

The DSP will be fine as long as you can truly bypass it if you want.

He's got a full kit with double bass pedal, floor tom, rack tom, snare, crash, ride, crash/ride, ping, splash and 2 chinas.

And I highhat. Forgot to mention that

Our Bassist uses an Ampeg rackmount head into a 1x12 cab, with a 4x10 sitting at home.

Last edited:
depends on the music you play ... if its a jazz drummer o blues-guy - you might get away with a 10" ...

again - just a guitar and a drummer is way different to a whole band setting, as bass eats up a lot of "sonic space" as well

if your'e more into (harder) rock - the mere plates (more than the toms or kick) will eat your amp alive :D

cheers
alfred

If the drummer plays with feathers instead of sticks and uses a cotton ball on a popcicle stick for a kick beater you should be able to keep up (volume wise that is) with him, otherwise you are gonna need a much bigger amp. I push 60 watts with a 25 watt preamp and lots of drummers overpower me.

satchmo said:
If you want a small amp that can battle with a drummer, try the Vox Pathfinder 15. Especially if you use an external cabinet, you'll be fine.

Class A tubes can get pretty loud even with low wattage.

Check my sig. I've got one laying right next to the computer. It's not nearly loud enough, esp. when I need cleans.

i would lean toward 30+ watts through at least a 2x12 cab (or the equivalent) to have reasonable cutting power.

Well, to be honest, Ive never really played with a drummer going all out. Just little small get togethers and jams of blues and stuff, so it stays somewhat low key. I do however own the Valve Jr, and think its a great little amp. I got it as something I could play at home though and not disturb neighbors or anything, so it probably wont be loud enough to be heard well. For $120 though, it couldnt hurt to give it a shot, and if not, just keep it as a small practice amp. You maybe be surprised at what it does.

Back