entry Mic Pre

MrGrooves

Yes I know, must of you guys must hate it by know, but yet another mic pre thread. I'm looking after a Behringer DDX316 digital board. I think this board offers to much flexibility that it will complement my setup well, as well as act as a digital patchbay, FX processor, control surface for my daw, and I dig the fact it has motorized faders and built in internal automation.
This board has 12 mic pre's wich I've heard are not bad, just clean, perhaps sterile.
Since its a 16 bus board, I'd like to use it as a front end to track to my motu 2408. It already has 12 pre's, and there's 4 more line level inputs. I was thinking of using these with some outboard pre's, something different than the onboard pre's, maybe more warmmy maybe clean, but more detailed. I dunno.
I have a joe meek MQ3 that is going to fill one of these inputs already. the pre will probably be a lil bit better than that of the berry, but I like the warmmy compressor on the unit.
I was thinking of getting a RNP and 2 RNC's, that way I could have 3 strips with full analog compression.
Then, trough some reading here and there I also found Art's DPS and TPS units. I think the converters on the berry or moreover on the motu would be of better quality than those of the DPS, so the TPS would be a more viable choice for me. I've never used units with presets tough.
What do you guys think?, I can spend some bucks, but still can't afford expensive high end stuff.. I'm looking for quality but value at the same time..or should I just save for something better?
thanks in advance

Here's one

I entered the game with a M-Audio DMP3 and a Presonus Blue Tube. Each has it devotees and its critics. I love 'em both. That's four channels at under a hundred bucks a channel, and they are not the same sounding, meaning you can pick and choose what might sound best for a particular kind of track.

I also think you can't go wrong with an RNC.

Finally, check out the Studio Projects preamps - they perform way beyond their price.

Not yet. My posted stuff is pre-pre.:D

Wait. There is one live choir cut done with the SP B1 and the DMP3 going direct into an AKAI DPS16.

Choir of the Church of St. Andrew / Music from the Triduum. It's NOT a "Treeline String Band" kind of thing. But it's pretty neat.

What about the Aphex 207?....price is almost same as the RNC, no wallwart, and some additional features....has anyone used one?
I'll check the recording later on tonight

Back