Entry Level Gear?

framos

Hello:

I have a friend that is about to join the home recording crowd. However, he's only interested in recording song ideas and acoustic guitar stuff with uncomplicated vocals.
The little I know about home recording is multi-track and involves gear like Delta's 1010, Event 8s, etc.
He's more interested in a two channel audio interface, small speakers, fairly inexpensive headphones, and an entry level version of Cubase for his Mac computer.
Since I'm a beginner myself, I don't feel qualified to advice him on what gear to buy.
I do know that he should probably buy an sm58 for music and a sm57 for vocals, right? Less then $200 for both, right?

framos

I have a pretty cheap, small set-up. I use an M-Audio Audiophile soundcard, and it works like a champ. ($150 or so) You can get inexpensive monitors for around $200. I use M Audio monitors too, they make 5" ones for around $300.

I use Cubasis for sequencing/recording. It's a scaled down version of Cubase, but it does all the basic stuff you will need, and actually has lots of features which will allow him to progress quite far before "needing" to get into something more full featured. I think I paid $80 for it.

framos said:
Hello:

I have a friend that is about to join the home recording crowd. However, he's only interested in recording song ideas and acoustic guitar stuff with uncomplicated vocals.
The little I know about home recording is multi-track and involves gear like Delta's 1010, Event 8s, etc.
He's more interested in a two channel audio interface, small speakers, fairly inexpensive headphones, and an entry level version of Cubase for his Mac computer.
Since I'm a beginner myself, I don't feel qualified to advice him on what gear to buy.
I do know that he should probably buy an sm58 for music and a sm57 for vocals, right? Less then $200 for both, right?

framos

For home recording vocals and acoustic guitar I wouldn't recommend either the SM 57 or 58. For acoustic guitar I like both the Marshall MXL603s or the Oktava MC012. You can get both for around $75 each. For vocals any of the decent LDs like the Marshall V67 or the SP B1 would do fine, I'm sure. The 57 is a good mic to have in your arsenal, but I only use mine for percussion or when I sing kinda raspy. I think if you could have all three that would be good.

Back