Entertaining eBay description

heh-heh lol ... this is one funny seller... , e-bay humor-wise :)
see other items also.... there's some portable record player... silly short story ..and sure would be a 'great deal' :D

respects

The Ghost of FM said:
If all it needs is the heads re-lapped, that's actually one hell of a good deal!

True, the seller can't spell for beans but after being around here for a couple of years and being surrounded by illiterates, I am not shocked or amused at seeing another one at this point.

Cheers! :)

As for being a good deal, I'd agree. But wouldn't you feel just a little bit nervous about giving that much money to someone who can't spell 'head'?

guys, nowdays THE ONLY way to get a real good deal on a gear on e-bay - is to find an item, listed in the wrong category, with description that scares crows away from the person who 'is specializing' in Troll Dolls or Pottery & Glass etc... :D
knowledgeable seller will always try to squiz every single lasting buck outa' his/her 'treasure'

/respects

jpmorris said:
As for being a good deal, I'd agree. But wouldn't you feel just a little bit nervous about giving that much money to someone who can't spell 'head'?

Agreed. I'd only give that seller money IF I'd be able to come out and see the recorder, inspect it, test it and deem it in totally working and good condition. No way would I trust someone who brutalizes the English language that way. :eek:

~Daniel

Dr ZEE said:
guys, nowdays THE ONLY way to get a real good deal on a gear on e-bay - is to find an item, listed in the wrong category, with description that scares crows away from the person who 'is specializing' in Troll Dolls or Pottery & Glass etc... :D
knowledgeable seller will always try to squiz every single lasting buck outa' his/her 'treasure'

/respects

Good point.

cjacek said:
JESUS!!! LMAO!!!!!!!!! :D :D

That was very funny indeed! What got me, after the "capson belt" thing, was the 90 year old guy who "can't see any more"! LOL! That right there deserves a bid or two, right ? ;)

~Daniel

:D :D I think you're right about the "too much information" Unless he's trying to make us feel sorry for him so we'll buy it. :D

cjacek said:
Agreed. I'd only give that seller money IF I'd be able to come out and see the recorder, inspect it, test it and deem it in totally working and good condition. No way would I trust someone who brutalizes the English language that way. :eek:

~Daniel

Indeed. The bit at the end about the album is so garbled that I can't even make out what he is trying to say. The only other time I have ever seen anything like that is in the novel 'Feersum Endjinn' by Iain M Banks (which was obviously deliberate).

be knowledgeable buyer - stay away knowledgeable seller

- lil' "secret of success" in the auction-world from dr zee :D

/respects

ohhh, and as a side note, when selling you 'beloved' gear, for the best result - try not to act like you know too much, 'cos (in general) people with good money don't like people who know too much ;)

/respects

jpmorris said:
No sir. I would not.

I'm buying equipment, not the man's grade in English spelling proficiency.

I too am not a great speller. I get by mostly with the aid of a spell-checker for all of my posts and though I am in deep trouble without it, I have rarely been called on my technical knowledge around these parts.

The seller in this particular auction is basically an honest fellow. He is openly stating that the heads are worn and he is letting us know that the machine was used in a professional environment with a partial list of clients who paid him money to record them so, he can't be all that bad in my books.

The Ghost of FM said:
No sir. I would not.

I'm buying equipment, not the man's grade in English spelling proficiency.

I too am not a great speller. I get by mostly with the aid of a spell-checker for all of my posts and though I am in deep trouble without it, I have rarely been called on my technical knowledge around these parts.

The seller in this particular auction is basically an honest fellow. He is openly stating that the heads are worn and he is letting us know that the machine was used in a professional environment with a partial list of clients who paid him money to record them so, he can't be all that bad in my books.

Yes, but you make the attempt of doing a spell check, as do I and I imagine many others here. Additionally, you have gained reputation by providing great informative posts (and even personal help) over the years. With this particular seller, however, I have nothing to go by but his hideous use of the English language. I liken this to someone who almost never takes a shower, smells, looks dirty, wears a dirty tank top and shorts and goes out for a banking job interview. I don't care how much experience, education or know-how he has or whether he's honest or not, he will never get hired. Presentation is everything if he's making a first impression.

~Daniel

cjacek said:
Yes, but you make the attempt of doing a spell check, as do I and I imagine many others here. Additionally, you have gained reputation by providing great informative posts (and even personal help) over the years. With this particular seller, however, I have nothing to go by but his hideous use of the English language. I liken this to someone who almost never takes a shower, smells, looks dirty, wears a dirty tank top and shorts and goes out for a banking job interview. I don't care how much experience, education or know-how he has or whether he's honest or not, he will never get hired. Presentation is everything if he's making a first impression.

~Daniel
In the strictest sense of the business world, I'd agree with 100%. You have to make a good impression by being neat, clean, literate and civil but, this isn't the normal business world. This is rock and roll business. Real rock and rollers are dirty, sloppy, perhaps a bit illiterate and never civil.

This guy, (the seller), is probably a typical rock and roller who lived the dream, recording bands and partying all along the way. I've got no problem buying equipment from guys just like that because most of my gear was purchased from guys who were carbon copies of everything I just finished describing and I did alright in all those deals. ;)

Last edited:
I agree with both cjacek and Ghost on this one!

Its a good deal, but I'd like to be able to see it first. Being on the other side of the world doesn't help. It I was in Europe it would almost be worth having a look.

Why does no one in New Zealand seem to want to sell good used gear? All the good stuff is in North America or Europe :(

Ah well, at least I have my Ferrographs (bought a second one for 'spares' last week :)), Akai and a NZ$100 (US$73 or so) Tascam 32 coming soon.....

Now if only I had something to record with them.....:o

The Ghost of FM said:
In the strictest sense of the business world, I'd agree with 100%. You have to make a good impression by being neat, clean, literate and civil but, this isn't the normal business world. This is rock and roll business. Real rock and rollers are dirty, sloppy, perhaps a bit illiterate and never civil.

This guy, (the seller), is probably a typical rock and roller who lived the dream, recording bands and partying all along the way. I've got no problem buying equipment from guys just like that because most of my gear was purchased from guys who were carbon copies of everything I just finished describing and I did alright in all those deals. ;)

Ok, fair enough.. But I still wouldn't give him my money ;)

~Daniel

arjoll said:
I agree with both cjacek and Ghost on this one!

Its a good deal, but I'd like to be able to see it first. Being on the other side of the world doesn't help. It I was in Europe it would almost be worth having a look.

Why does no one in New Zealand seem to want to sell good used gear? All the good stuff is in North America or Europe :(

Ah well, at least I have my Ferrographs (bought a second one for 'spares' last week :)), Akai and a NZ$100 (US$73 or so) Tascam 32 coming soon.....

Now if only I had something to record with them.....:o

Andrew, you're coming along quite nicely, I dare say. And a 32 on the way... super!

We need to work out some sort of cooperative to help those that don't have as much access to things they want. We could pitch in and work together for the common good. Someone in the states could nab something off of ebay and then send it on under some of the many provisions for special circumstanses, such as repair rates -- things like that. That way the postage is much less and tax is waived in many circumstances.

Lets look into it, eh?

-Tim

Back