Entering the World of Midi

Sentridoh

I would like to get a program that is useful and fairly flexible to add some different sounds to my recordings. Problem is I'm not sure what is out there. I looked at Gforce and their M-tron and that seemed really cool but is there anything better? Is there any other program that includes more intruments/sounds? Now as for playing the thing I was looking at getting a factory refurbished Oxygen 8 or maybe Axiom 25. Unless anyone has any better advice. I use a Mac OSX laptop (an Intel Mac I'm afraid) and run Live 5.

Go to http://www.kvraudio.com for starters and check out the massive amount of synths that they have available. A lot of them are downloadable freeware so they're easy on the wallet. The sky is the limit, that's for sure. IMO, only download the plugs that have good reviews and pay attention to the stability...

As far as MIDI controllers go, see if you can try some out at least to get a feel for the keys and all that, and let your budget determine everything else.

A good software sampler would be the way to go. There are tons out there and pretty much everything new will be multiformat so you can use any sampler formated sample discs (Akai S5000, NNTX etc)

I am just learning MIDI now as well. I'm using the version of Reason Adapted that came free with my ProTools system. It's pretty damn cool, and so far hasn't been difficult to learn.

Back