EMU 0404 issues with Logic?

nrand

I just purchased an EMU 0404 and seem to be having some teething problems.

Firstly, I use Logic Pro 9 on my Mac and it recognises the device no problem, yet the EMU tutorials insist that I also install Cubase LE4, Sonar 6LE, Ableton Live Lite 6, and Proteus VX.
1. Is it really neccesary to use all these bundled bits if I already have Logic? Any details on why and how to manage these would be of help.

2. When I plug a microphone into one of the EMU mic inputs, an AKG 451 requiring phantom power, when I hit the phantom power switch i get a really annoying persistent ringing noise. I have tried different mics, different leads, and different headphone jacks, and the issue remains as long as Logic is booted up. When I close logic the ringing stops. What gives?

I just purchased an EMU 0404 and seem to be having some teething problems.

Firstly, I use Logic Pro 9 on my Mac and it recognises the device no problem, yet the EMU tutorials insist that I also install Cubase LE4, Sonar 6LE, Ableton Live Lite 6, and Proteus VX.
1. Is it really neccesary to use all these bundled bits if I already have Logic? Any details on why and how to manage these would be of help.

2. When I plug a microphone into one of the EMU mic inputs, an AKG 451 requiring phantom power, when I hit the phantom power switch i get a really annoying persistent ringing noise. I have tried different mics, different leads, and different headphone jacks, and the issue remains as long as Logic is booted up. When I close logic the ringing stops. What gives?

1. No, you don't need to install that stuff unless you want to.

2. That sounds like a driver problem. Make sure you have the latest version of Logic and the latest EMU drivers. If you have all the latest drivers and the problem still persists, see if you can downgrade one version on your EMU drivers and see if that fixes the problem. Also, make sure the 0404 is plugged into a clean, grounded power source and make sure the USB connection isn't through a hub (keep in mind that not all the USB ports on your computer are direct ports. Some are hubs - look up your computer model to find out which ports are not hubs).

Hmm - thanks for the replies - - -
1. This is the USB version

2. What built in mic?
Am I missing something?

Several days later, I am getting a lot of noise into my recordings. Hiss mainly.
I still am having no joy with digital ins or outs.
Coax nor Optical
Currently everything is set to 48mhz -
The Joe Meek coming off my rack gear - also set to 48, Logic Pro, and my external CD recorder - still no joy in or out except for some noisy analogue.
Again - what am i Missing?

Mind you it has been about 10 years up to now since I last used Logic regularly, It seems like things should get easier not the other way . .

Hmm - thanks for the replies - - -
1. This is the USB version

2. What built in mic?
Am I missing something?

Several days later, I am getting a lot of noise into my recordings. Hiss mainly.
I still am having no joy with digital ins or outs.
Coax nor Optical
Currently everything is set to 48mhz -
The Joe Meek coming off my rack gear - also set to 48, Logic Pro, and my external CD recorder - still no joy in or out except for some noisy analogue.
Again - what am i Missing?

Mind you it has been about 10 years up to now since I last used Logic regularly, It seems like things should get easier not the other way . .

Have you checked your drivers to make sure everything is compatible?

Have you checked your drivers to make sure everything is compatible?

Well, to be honest I am not really sure how to check this. Maybe this would be a missing link.
I learned Logic on a PC and then when it died one day I was forced to go with Mac, as we know they bought the company etc. etc. Looking at hardware configurations on the MAC is something I have never quite figured out.
On the subject of compatibility, can someone explain why 48khz across the board could have compatabilty problems?
This I cannot figure.

Back