EMU 0202 USB Windows 7 Drivers...

cherrycobb

Hi all,

I have just acquired the Emu 0202 USB interface, I downloaded the beta driver but I am not sure if it has installed properly. I know there issues with windows 7 drivers cos I have heard all sorts of nightmare stories. Whenever I turn the device on it seems to make my system unstable... But I can't find any specific advice for this problem.

When I turn the device on, the Audio Control Panel disappears and cannot be opened. The EMU icon in the taskbar displays a red exclamation mark. When I try to open my sound device properties (control panel) it is non responsive, crashes and tells me that Windows Shell Common DLL is not responding.

It seems to recognise the device is there but is either clashing with something else in my system or has not installed the drivers correctly.

Can anything with the install be done differently? Should I disable my built in sound card or anything else...? Clutching at straws here!

Any response is greatly appreciated!

I am using a Dell Inspiron laptop.

hi there.
what does acquired mean? if it's second hand, is it known to work?

i can't imagine this is a driver issue, cos usually you have to plug in a device before you install the drivers.

Have you tried other usb ports?

It would certainly be worth trying to disable onboard sound, but this does sound like something more serious.

you can disable it in control panel/system/ or you can tap f2 when you power on. This gets you into bios where you can properly disable the hardware.

Also, Google turned up the following comment from a guy with the same issue but with a usb headset.
"I realized I did not fully install Windows 7. This happens at the exact last part of the setup. At the end it asks you to put the CD back in. The first Windows 7 boot CD.
When you put it in it updates all existing drivers to fit Windows 7s needs."
could this be your problem?

If it is, you could attempt a system repair from your boot cd. Back up first though to be safe :)

Hope this helps.

I have the EMU 0404 PCI version with Win7 and no problems at all. Knock on wood. It's been rock solid since I upgraded last fall.

If the unit comes with a power supply, try using that instead powering off the USB port. If it only powers from the USB port, be sure nothing else is on the port.

Try reloading the driver again. Then reload teh PatchMix DSP software.

Shouldn't need to disable your onboard soundcard.

Hi there, thanks for the responses.

Apologies for being vague, 'acquired' means I bought it second hand - this can be a risk, but it works fine on my girlfriend's mac so it's clearly not the unit itself.

EMU support also got back to me in pretty good time. They recommend I make sure my version of Windows 7 updated with all the most recent drivers to try and ensure nothing clashes. I will give this a try but I am seriously considering wiping everything and downgrading to windows XP! Things were so much simpler back then...

Back