EMG 81 / 85 probs

AlfredB

Hi there,

I bought a used guitar (flying V) w/ 81/85 in them and only one was connected when I got it (the overall cable-work was very poorly done). The one PUP connected worked, tho, also the guitar has the 25kohm pots and the EMG jack and battery unit.

I tried to change to the schematics as shown in the EMG site (2vol, 1tone, 3-way toggle)... and nothing worked - no sound ...- nothing ...

a couple of Qs:

- the PUPs have a 3 prong connector that (unfortunately) can be attached both ways - which way is correct? (having the PUP belly-up I inserted the connector so that I can see the little arrow - is this correct?)

- what would be the testing procedure to find out if the PUPs work? ... connector plugged in, instrument cable tip touching the center-lead of the fat (braided) cable (signal), instrument cable sleeve touching the braiding (ground)? ... then getting close to another guitar and strum ??? any other posibilities?

- I noticed i cant hear the (steel)strings plugged, but I do hear if i gently scrape w/ a screwdriver over the PUP surface ... and whats worst ... i even can hear the screwdriver w/out the battery inserted !!!!! (triplechecked the battery its ok! - btw).

any pointers for troubleshooting?

thx - alfred

Generally the easiest way to tell if a pickup is working is do just what you suggested: tap it with a screwdriver. I'm really not too expierianced with EMG's, but it's my understanding that you should still be able to get sound with or without the battery installed, so this would explain the screwdriver sound. However, if you're getting no string noise, I'm really not sure what to tell you, but it seems there must be a wiring error somewhere else (or you're using plastic strings :p ). I suppose you could try to flip the connector, I couldn't imagine that it would permanently damage anything. Anyway, just throwing in my two cents, I hope somebody else can help you a lot more.

Yep...

the PUPs have a 3 prong connector that (unfortunately) can be attached both ways - which way is correct? (having the PUP belly-up I inserted the connector so that I can see the little arrow - is this correct?)

I just did a superb install of an 81/85 combo and plugged in, very neat, time consuming and alll I got was this phantom, barely audible sound and only from one p/u. Tried a couple of different batteries, ran out and got a new one...

I re-checked every single connection and finally...the pick ups! Of course it sucks doing this after the strings are on but, there you go. I had plugged both of them in upside down.

From memory I can't recall which way is up other than by looking closely at the sockets it was obvious.

i checked both connected one way or the other ... still nothing ...

what is the minimum setup w/ a 81 or 85 ... batery, pickup, braided wire to the ground-sleeve of the jack, the thin,white,inner lead going to the tip of the instrument cable plug, right? ...

damn, i am pretty sure its something VERY OBVIOUS, like not having the battery connected :-)

thx for your thoughts
alfred

Back