Embarassed To Even ASK, But Here Goes..

Village Idiot

The Love Butler
I have had my Audiophile 2496 card put into my new computer, which runs on XP with an Athlon 1.4 in it...
Recording software is N-Track.

Because I have always recorded by myself, I never gave any thought to how many tracks I could record at the same time.

Now I'm curious, and don't even know where to start...

A couple of questions...

1. How many simultaneous tracks can I record?
Can I get at least 6? And how do I go about it in N-Track?

2. What exactly is Asio? And is it better than the WDM setting I have been using?

Probably really stupid questions for those in the know...
But I'm either gonna get more serious about this recording thing or abandon recording altogether.

Thanks!

VI

And to simplify my first question a bit...
WILL the Audiophile 2496 card handle 6 tracks recording simultaneously?
I failed to mention that I have a mixing board I use to route into N-Track that has Four XLR ins and also Four 1/4" ins.

Thanks!

audiophile will only allow simultaneous recording of 2 tracks...(a stereo recording)

regarding drivers...my understanding is fairly limited - but I think that the main diff. between WDM and ASIO is that WDM only supports 2 channels of digital audio while ASIO supports multiple (>2)

You're wrong about the drivers, Pratt... I don't think there's an inherent limitation in number of tracks. For example, the Delta 1010 has 8 analog ins and has both WDM and ASIO drivers and you can use either to record any number up to the max of 8 offered by the hardware (plus another stereo pair via an S/PDIF port if you had something that put out such a signal, giving you a total of 8). Which you use depends on the on the operating system to some extent and also which recording application you use.

The main difference between ASIO and WDM is that ASIO was a third-party work-around developed by Steinberg, I believe, to address some inherent limitations in the older Windows driver model, the so-called MME (multimedia extensions) model. With the advent of Windows ME, Microsoft had finally addressed this limitation in their own way by redesigning the architecture of the built-in OS audio support, calling the new scheme WDM (Windows Driver Model).

AlChuck said:
You're wrong about the drivers, Pratt... I don't think there's an inherent limitation in number of tracks. For example, the Delta 1010 has 8 analog ins and has both WDM and ASIO drivers and you can use either to record any number up to the max of 8 offered by the hardware (plus another stereo pair via an S/PDIF port if you had something that put out such a signal, giving you a total of 8). Which you use depends on the on the operating system to some extent and also which recording application you use.

The main difference between ASIO and WDM is that ASIO was a third-party work-around developed by Steinberg, I believe, to address some inherent limitations in the older Windows driver model, the so-called MME (multimedia extensions) model. With the advent of Windows ME, Microsoft had finally addressed this limitation in their own way by redesigning the architecture of the built-in OS audio support, calling the new scheme WDM (Windows Driver Model).

that's cool AlChuck and I stand corrected. I'm basing what I said on my experience with the presonus firestation = the wdm drivers only support 2 channels of audio while asio supports multi-channels...

thanks for the insight..

I haven`t tried this yet but its coming. I would like use the analog outputs on my CT 4370 and the analog outss on the the 2496 at the same time?
I also don`t know if there could be some clock sync issues if it does work.

Back