Elvis Presley or Michael Jackson

Who has the biggest impact in the world musically?

• Michael Jackson

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Elvis Presley

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • It's a Tie

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

Trumpspade

I'M BLESSED.......
Upon the sad news that yet another music icon has passed, the big discussion at work today was "Who had the biggest impact as an artist worlwide, Michael Jackson or Elvis Presely? Just curious to see and hear everyone's opinion.......

I called it a tie. Both were fabulously talented and innovative, extremely popular, crazy as a shithouse rat, and died from prescription drugs enabled by unscrupulous physicians, and their sycophantic entourages. I think the difference is that Elvis's impact was positive, and Jacko's just the opposite. Elvis made black R&B and country blues mainstream stuff in the white community, and enabled generations of talented black performers to make tons of money.
Jacko, on the other hand, popularized ridiculous large-scale stage productions with coordinated dancing, multiple costume changes, and insipid jerky dancing. In short, he revived the huge Broadway musical stage production and updated it for the modern pop scene, enabling generations of so called "artists" who didn't have a fraction of his vocal talent. The point is, that without Michael Jackson, Britney Spears would be delivering hamburgers on roller skates, where she belongs. Michael Jackson put on a show. The Who *were* a show. That's a huge difference, and I prefer the latter. In that sense, Jacko was the modern entertainment equivalent of Howard Hughes. He was rich enough to hire people who wouldn't tell him he was crazy, and it cost him his life.-Richie

Jackson is responsible for formulated pop. (Backstreet Boys, Brittany Spears, New Kids on the Block, Miley Cirus, American Idol)

That being said, Thriller is good and that's why we all own SM7s

my votes for the king...hands down...that is no disrespect for the influence mj had on the music industry,....

I don't like Elvis' music or Michael's music.

However, the question was which had the most impact WORLDWIDE. I definitley think that Michael Jackson has Elvis beat on this.

And by the way, didn't Elvis like to dress up in elaborate costumes for his shows (kindof like M.J.)??:confused:

While MJ did start the modern manufactered pop movement (modern in the sense of the past 15 years), the difference between them and him is that he was actually talented, as a singer, performer, songwriter, and producer. He had it all. Sure he was shit crazy and a little weird, but as an artist, he was up there.

Its really hard to say which one was bigger, Not a particular fan of either, but I have to say MJ songs tend to excite me a bit more.

I've gotta go with Elvis. He was a key part of the initial growth of rock & roll and the blending of rock & roll with "black music".

It is hard to say how history plays out in the absence of either - but without Elvis, rock & roll or rockabilly may not have developed (perhaps no Beatles). In turn, rock may not have grown the way it did. Possibly the blend of "white music" and "balck music" may not have developed (ie: no Motown).

And if there was no Motown.......there would be no Michael Jackson.

Elvis

Imagine being a kid and your Dad is Michael jackson and your grandad Elvis..
My God that nearly happened

Who is going to own all the Beatles stuff now?

Back