Elka

no dont have one but thanks for the stroll down memory lane.. i played one for awhile... but decided i prefered the ARP string ensemble...

been awhile, yeah that Elka was out in the 70's if I recall..still looking, all I found so far was a Elka organ on the bay...dc do you remember what company made these by chance?

A friend of mine had one in the mid-80's.

They were used by an English band called Joy Division on both of their LP's.

From my google search Elka was an Italian independent organ maker that dabbled in synths and string machines.

This link --- LINK --- will get you onto the Vintage Synth explorer site, then you can pick Elka from the left hand column.

A friend of mine had one in the mid-80's.
They were used by an English band called Joy Division on both of their LP's.
After the frontman died Joy Division morphed into the better-known 80s band New Order whose hits included 'Blue Monday' and 'True Faith' (look for the video of the latter on YouTube... it is seriously weird).

Back on topic, IIRC the main Elka string machine was the Rhapsody, which was used by Genesis on their 'Wind and Wuthering' album, and also on Steve Hackett's solo album 'Voyage of the Acolyte'.

I've never actually seen one in the flesh, though.

good info, but no Rhapsody on the vintagesynth... good link, thanks

I do remember New Order group and those hits. I was a big fan of Genesis back in the 70's, and saw the band at the Hullaballoo in LA (late 60's), long time ago.

A guy had one of these Elka Rhasody's in a band I played in around 76' and the string ensemble still haunts me, and tell the truth don't remember if its as good as I thought it was, but at the time the strings seemed amazing.

I see where M-Audio actually has a vintagesoftware virtual string machine now that includes the Elka, wondering how close this sample is and how good it sounds...http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/GForceVirtualStringMachine-main.html it sells resonable, I cant check demos, on dial up drives me crazy.

no dont have one but thanks for the stroll down memory lane.. i played one for awhile... but decided i prefered the ARP string ensemble...

Now this really is a beautiful sounding instrument. I have just completed repairs to a Solina and I'm sad to see it go. Such a magical sound. The owner gave me permission to sample it which is very cool but there's nothing like the actual thing. The most amazing thing is how well the sound imitates real strings considering the technology available at the time. The engineers were truly obsessed madmen.

I used to use an ELKA Piano in High School back in the old Stage Band Days, then I was turned on to a RHODES :p

I have the Elka String Machine

Yes I have the Elka String Machine. It's in storage right now and I'm thinking about taking it out and setting it up in my studio again. I've had this keyboard for almost 29 years now. Wow-now that is strolling down memory lane!

Back