Elimination of frequency

abalagula

I recently recorded a live band and had some problems with my mic and got distortion in the mix. Which frequency should I eliminate in the eq to get rid of as much of the distortion as possible?

abalagula said:
I recently recorded a live band and had some problems with my mic and got distortion in the mix. Which frequency should I eliminate in the eq to get rid of as much of the distortion as possible?

Distortion?

Do you mean feedback?

If it's distorting then it could be a number of things.

Did you record the whole band with just one mic? If you used many mic's, which mic was causing the "distortion" problems?

its possible to get rid of distortion ,but your audio will never sound the same :(

it will take a chunk out of your audio,so you might as well do it over.

sorry no good news here.

abalagula said:
It was just one mic and It wasn't clipping so I think there might be a problem with the diaphram

pretty much what I was thinking

One thing I don't know, and it might be worth asking of the experts in these parts, is... how much can a mic take? I've always wondered about this and I've never yet taken any of my mics to the point where I can't get a clean signal regardless of trim setting on my recording gear... and I've recorded some pretty loud stuff.

So, the question to the mic experts would be:-

At what sound level, in dB, do microphones no longer work effectively?

really depends on the mic, and it's usually listed in the specs.
The average is around 120 ish dBA//SPL

I have actaully had a singer clip the capsule on an SM58... quite an effort if you ask me...

But, more than likely, it's a damaged capsule or a crap cable rather than the capsule clipping.

Do you konw which mic it was? and can you post a clip?

Back