Electronics Repair Suggestion

Brahmb

Is it possible to start a new forum on repair? I have a few pieces of equipment I'd like to try my hand at before scrapping them or sending them out.

Yo Bra+mummbles:

Electronic repair? Naw. Not anymore.

I gave up doing repairs on electronic gear when I checked to have a small ten cent plastic push button repair on a tape deck I once had. The local "franchised" repair facility wanted 50 dollars plus labor. I said, "Va Napoli" to them and gave the deck to my nephew who could still work the button by inserting "da" finger.

After you buy something electronic it is about obsolete, like computers. Like a bigger gigabyte or megabyte or bite from your girlfriend always gets better and, in some cases, costs a bit more.

Just my opinion, unless you love the particular piece of gear, JUNK IT -- buy new.

Minor repairs -- no problema -- but those big bills, who needs them.

Green Hornet:D :p :cool:

I'm not planning on doing major repairs. I have CD player that doesn't spin, a turn table that doesn't turn, and an amp that seems to be shorted, but the fuse isn't blown. I can back to you with more details, but a forum for this type of stuff would be great.

junk the CD player... the turntable probably has a bad belt or drive moter... which you should be able to buy from the manufacturer...

It really takes some familiariety with electronics and IC's to judge whats worth repairing. I think replacing the drive moter on a CD player will be a pain in the ass... but not to long ago my parents Jaguar (car) had an IC come loose in the taillight and the dealer wanted $300 to replace it... I desoldered it and soldered it back on in 5 minutes... but soldering IC's takes a steady hand and good eyes :)

Also replacing parts can alter the sound... so if a potentomiter (aka sliders) on a sound board goes bad...it'd would be best to replace all of them... but they would cost..at most $5 a piece..usually $2.50

minimum tools you'll need for electronic repair

soldering iron (the pointyer the better)
desoldering tool (aka the Solder Sucker)
magnifying glass
solder (with flux core...makes life much easier... just don't breath the smoke :) )
wire cutters
needle nose pliers

Back