Electronic recording

peteuk90

Hi there,
I was just wondering, I am recording my drummer with his electronic yahama drum kit. It sounds great, with stereo recording. I would love to record each individual drum pad. I know I have a couple of options. MIDI. (which I am trying to learn) and if we get a drum brain with the right amount of outputs. Is there a cheaper way than a new brain????

Any advise wouyld be grateful

Thanks

Pete

Short of buyer a brian with more outputs the only practical option is MID (which you've already referenced). Even with MIDi you would have to record the drum performance and then play the tracks back 2 at a time (routed left & right) recording each two tracks until you capture the number of tracks you want.

I've done that and while it works it is an inconveniance.

Thanks for that Mike. I will be asking you loads more questions soon. As I hit brick walls with MIDI!

I have dabbled with it a few weeks ago and nearly sussed it. I had set all the correct drivers etc and was getting everything right until I wanted the return path to the brain to give me the brain's audible drum kit that I was playing. It gave me everything but a drum kit.! Do you have to set the brain to recieve the data and convert it back to the original kit??

A MIDI device normally has a MIDI channel send and a MIDI channel receive.

As an example, you send the MIDI data out on MIDI channel 1 and set the sequenceing device or software device to recieve on channel 1. When you play back the sequence you set the sequence machine/program to transmit on MIDI channel 10 and the drum module to recieve on MIDI channel 10 (you can pick any MIDI channel, but the industry norm is to dedicate the drums to MIDI channel 10).

MIDI can be very complex, but the basic send recieve data is not as daunting as may seem. Everyone I've ever worked with related to MIDI has a brief period of confusion and then suddenly it seems clear.

I'll be glad to try to help with what I can.

Back