Electronic Drum kit as midi controller in Cubase

jkstraw

Good evening,

I am looking for some assistance in getting my electronic Drum kit wokring as a MIDI controller. Here is my gear/setup:

1. Yamaha DTXpress III
2. Cubase SX (2.x) - For simplicity - lm-7 VST instrument.

I have the DTXpress hooked up to my 2nd MIDI port.

Currently I have the following setup:

In Cubase:

- Channel input = midi port 2
- Channel output = lm7
- Loaded Drum map = GM Drum map

On the DTXpress:

- Selected Kit = GM midi

At the moment I can hear my ride, symbal, snare, high-hat (and high-hat control) and Bass Drum.

Triggers that don't work on the kit: mid and low tom, and all "dual trigger" zones on snare and ride.

Other wierd results: snare often produces double hits, same with the high hat and high tom trigger actual sounds mid tom.

I am by no means well versed in midi, but I havea keyboard controller setup and working great for just about everything. The DTXpress however is a new addition and I am having a tough time getting the triggers mapped out to Cubase.

If anyone has any experience I would really appreciate any help.

Cheers,

jk

P.S. I have read the DTXpress Manual, Cubase Manual, bought a tutorial CD etc. I just can't seem to get it setup right.

hey,
First of all, have you set the drum kit, to send the right values when triggered (typically a bass drum is C1 and snare is D1) try hitting each trigger one by one, while looking at the transport in cubase... does it show atleast that it's recieving midi in for the sounds that don't play, if so, what note (or chord, more later) does it say its recieving?... They are the one's you want to set your sample to. of course i'll ask you, have you set the right midi channel to recieve in cubase, and have you plugged in every midi cable from the drumkit to the computer (if more than one is nessacery)

The dual trigger sounds like it is used to trigger two sounds at the same time. when hit, it should send two note values at the same time... Cubase (or atleast logic, i'm sorry, this what i am accustomed to) will instead display a chord, or two notes, again, thee'se are the notes you will need to put the drum sounds to be triggered by, as thats what the drumkit sends.
Perhaps it would be easier simply to change the drum kits trigger notes to that of the instrument you have selected?

Back