Electro Harmonix 12AY7 Mic Pre?

Halion,

u play a mean grooooove man :D

def holand style ;)

all the demos i ever saw for the qtron had this groove, kind of like shaft you know lol very cool, but i cant use that...

but i heard some ppl can take some other stuff from this stomp..

hey, by any chance..u ever tried the black or white finger?
i need sustaaaaaaain..

u know, i cant play bass to save my life, but as i do everything alone, except for drums, i had to get one..i got the one that filled my eyes..i love vintage looking stuff so i got the epiphone tunderbird IV...always feel like im hugging an elephant with that thing, but it has one cool vibe...

anyway, all i do is put it through reverb, ocasional tad of distortion from the rat2 and delay...lots and lots...

i just hit the notes you know...i really dunno any chords or progressions and i never really try to learn, its just there to give a huge soundscape to the walls of sound i like to do with the several guitars..

still...its one cool instrument..not my main one, but cool as hell.

what bass do you play?

ps. im settled on the EH pre..im ordering two in a few months.

One thing I would definitely recommend would be replacing the tubes when you get it. Those EH tubes are absolute garbage and sound very anemic. I would definitely suggest putting either NOS British or American (or German, if you can find/afford them) tubes or JJ Electronics tubes in there.

I would also imagine that replacing the 12AY7 with a mil-spec 12ax7 or a 7025 tube would increase the gain considerably. You could also use a 5751 tube, which would have the same amplification factor as the 12AY7 (70, I think) but would be much less noisy and less microphonic, allowing you to crank it a bit harder while still keeping the noise floor relatively low.

Sounds like an interesting pre, I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the heads up!

i agree that a tube change may make a difference, but i disagree that the EH are garbage...unless you're refering to the sovtek ones..

thing with tubes is there's just so many to pick from...u mention german...telefunken?

diogo said:
Halion,

u play a mean grooooove man :D

def holand style ;)

all the demos i ever saw for the qtron had this groove, kind of like shaft you know lol very cool, but i cant use that...

but i heard some ppl can take some other stuff from this stomp..

hey, by any chance..u ever tried the black or white finger?
i need sustaaaaaaain..

u know, i cant play bass to save my life, but as i do everything alone, except for drums, i had to get one..i got the one that filled my eyes..i love vintage looking stuff so i got the epiphone tunderbird IV...always feel like im hugging an elephant with that thing, but it has one cool vibe...

anyway, all i do is put it through reverb, ocasional tad of distortion from the rat2 and delay...lots and lots...

i just hit the notes you know...i really dunno any chords or progressions and i never really try to learn, its just there to give a huge soundscape to the walls of sound i like to do with the several guitars..

still...its one cool instrument..not my main one, but cool as hell.

what bass do you play?

ps. im settled on the EH pre..im ordering two in a few months.

Thanks mate. Haven't tried any of the finger pedals. I tend to stay away from compression in a stompbox. Don't need it and if I want compression anyway, I'll do it once it's in the computer. I have a Holy Grail verb pedal aswell, which I love. One knob, all you need.

i really need compression for giging :/

the holy grail..i tried it once..i think it sounded pretty good, but i really need something with gates, reverse, etc...for spring i have a good one in the fender hotrod, no sense in getting more...the flerb sounded a little like a phaser...waste of space i thought..that would be a genius pedal with a gate or a plate instead of the flerb (!?) lol
the holiest/er is too big of a jump in price..i can justifiy it...might as well use the verbs from whatever outboard rack unit ill be getting..

im looking into digitech x series...ppl say its very good with massive verbs.

Well this thread has seen a flurry of responses. Interesting how it didn't draw much attention when it was purely speculative, but now it's a whole new ballgame.

For the record, I was extremely hestitant to repete Joel's endorsement, It's basically hearsay being, as yet, unpublished. However, it's an opinion that I do respect immensely, based on professional experience, musical style, and a constant stream of helpful advice on the TapeOp board (which has since fallen into a blackhole).

I was also very wary of a $190 pre claiming to be a real tube amp. The "FET balancing circuit" is still a question mark in my mind. How that figures into the actual signal path would be worth knowing. Despite this, I'm prepared to roll the dice. Of course, I will probably wait for the first round of reviews to be posted here, but that's mostly out of necessity since I'm broke. :rolleyes:

skipwave said:
The "FET balancing circuit" is still a question mark in my mind. :

From the Electro Harmonix 12AY7 Manual:

"FET balancing circuit, read "toob...""

Just kidding. I hope I'm kidding! We'll see...

diogo said:
i really need compression for giging :/

the holy grail..i tried it once..i think it sounded pretty good, but i really need something with gates, reverse, etc...for spring i have a good one in the fender hotrod, no sense in getting more...the flerb sounded a little like a phaser...waste of space i thought..that would be a genius pedal with a gate or a plate instead of the flerb (!?) lol
the holiest/er is too big of a jump in price..i can justifiy it...might as well use the verbs from whatever outboard rack unit ill be getting..

im looking into digitech x series...ppl say its very good with massive verbs.

True, I never use the flerb function. I bought the pedal mainly because I wanted reverb on my bass, and there is no single basshead that has a spring reverb. I don't like the boss verbs because...well...this one was cheaper :)

btw, sorry for getting so off topic guys.

Halion,

i heard good things about combining 2 boss rv's (models 2 and 3 or whatever) and having decent results..but for real verb, i wouldnt touch any boss stomp..i just dont like them...im probably wrong though, but that sound is just not my thing. in my opinion, alesis and boss had it right in the mid eighties and nineties and just went bezerk thereafter for whatever reason...i really like the RRV10 from boss...i prefer lofi (read lo bits, not noisy) verbs to serve between stomps...i almost got the RRV10 last month, but it was either that or the ibanez DE7 and i needed it more.

for your situation though, i really cant think of a better solution, great choice!

Ben Logan said:
From the Electro Harmonix 12AY7 Manual:

"FET balancing circuit, read "toob...""

Just kidding. I hope I'm kidding! We'll see...

Ben dont stress over that...
its gonna be all u want and a lot more..i can almost guarantee it! :D

Joel has yet to fail me with his recomendations!
im SURE its gonna be great..

and if this is all true...EH may be setting a new standard for affordable tube pres..history in the making...and we're part of it :D

Mine's on the way Halion. I ordered it through our local guitar shop here in Chico Ca., last Tuesday. Who knows how long it's gonna take. But, I'll post a review and some sound samples up when I get 'er rolling. Looking forward to that.

Diogo, thanks for the vote of confidence! I agree with you. I like EH's philosophy: in the interest of making cool sounding, relatively cheap, sonically rich gear, they let a little white noise / buzz through. I can live with that. I'm hoping this little dude is going to have some character. :)

Ben,

it will (a bit of wishful thinking too). it has to. i blindly trust the person that recomended it to me. it has to.

im expecting a lot. at least as good as the brick, maybe more (again, wishful thinking), and a step up from the dmp3 (pretty sure)...

how bout these for expectations huh :D

Electro Harmonix...man i can almost eat the signal coming out of my hotrod with 3 of their stomps in the chain. :D

Ben Logan said:
Mine's on the way Halion. I ordered it through our local guitar shop here in Chico Ca., last Tuesday. Who knows how long it's gonna take. But, I'll post a review and some sound samples up when I get 'er rolling. Looking forward to that.

Diogo, thanks for the vote of confidence! I agree with you. I like EH's philosophy: in the interest of making cool sounding, relatively cheap, sonically rich gear, they let a little white noise / buzz through. I can live with that. I'm hoping this little dude is going to have some character. :)

Ben-

I wonder if I know you...I'm from Chico too!

DC

Nice, just like all the pedals (they all come in wooden boxes too). Can't wait to hear the reviews guys!

Halion man,

my small chorus came in a cardboard box, with the pedal's fron view picture on it...i was kind of disapointed :/ was really expecting a cool wood box like my other ones had..

:rolleyes:

Back