Electrical Hum on guitars/amps in my room.

iceyflame

I've been recording a number of people so far and things seem to be going well, but one issue I encounter is that when people bring electric guitars/basses+amplifiers to record - they often get an electrical buzz that they never had in their house or before. This has happened on multiple occasions and I find the same problem when I play guitar.

Does anyone have any fixes? Preferably something quite easy and not to costly - I don't think I would be able to do much/any construction work due to it being a rented house.

Please let me know if you have come up with any ways to solve this problem as it is really becoming a bother.

Thanks alot.

Chris

Are they all plugged into the same electrical circuit???

NOTE: Not all plugs in your room may be on the same circuit.
Often electricians will wire have the plugs on one circuit and half on another so the lights wont go completely out at the same time if a breaker gets tripped.

Use a heavy-duty extension cord with a power strip in it and have everybody plug into the same plug.....

Do the amps have polarity switches? (Old ones did). You may have electrical outlets which are wired backwards - try plugging everyone into the same outlet, as mentioned.

Turn off all dimmer switches, florescent lights, electric motors, anything running a compressor, etc., see if you can isolate the noise. If that fails, turn off every circuit in the house, one at a time, see if that helps.

Do they plug into their amps, or is it your amp?
I just noticed that my bass does hum on my hand-made fender-like amp, but not that much on some Laney combo..

Are you using an older CRT style computer monitor by chance? Guitar and bass pickups will pick the noise up from them, which also sounds like buzzing.

Turn off all dimmer switches, florescent lights, electric motors, anything running a compressor, etc., see if you can isolate the noise. If that fails, turn off every circuit in the house, one at a time, see if that helps.

+1..those florescent ligts will do it every time..alot of older (5 years or more) florescent lights are not supposed to be dimmed...just a note

Back