Electric string winder

crazydoc

Master Baiter
I know it's been done before, but thought I'd post my take on it. I really hate to change strings - that's why I almost never do it. This has made it easier.

First, an old broken 1/4" hex bit. I've got a lot of these lying around - I never throw anything out.

Attachments

• winder1.jpg
    winder1.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 59
Next, a segment of dowel about an inch in diameter. I made mine on a lathe in a couple of minutes. You could probably just use a rectangular piece of a wooden stick - it doesn't really have to be round. Drill a 1/4" hole in the center of one end, and pound the bit into it - it's a nice tight fit..

Attachments

• winder2.jpg
    winder2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 58
Drill a bunch of 1/4" holes in the other end about 3/4" deep to form a slot. Put it in a drill, electric screwdriver or whatever, put the slot over the tuner button, and let her rip - forward or reverse.

Attachments

• winder3.jpg
    winder3.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 57
With my luck I'd need to use a very slow electric screwdriver - I managed to rip the knobs of two tuners on a classical guitar with a HAND WINDER!!!

please ..... while I love your creativity and DIYishness, electric string winders are teh dumb.
I'm 60 with significant arthritis in my hands and wrists and even I have zero problem putting a string on and winding it up in a few seconds.

please ..... while I love your creativity and DIYishness, electric string winders are teh dumb.
I'm 60 with significant arthritis in my hands and wrists and even I have zero problem putting a string on and winding it up in a few seconds.

Well, I'm almost 68. Wait a few years.

Plus, first you have to take the strings off, which almost doubles the work. And nylon strings stretch and stretch and stretch...

And I bet I am a lot lazier than you are.

Back