Electric guitar direct vs. mic'ing speaker?

RickH

I've recorded several tracks with my guitar through my Digitech RP50, then directly into the MR-8. Next time, I plan to run my guitar through my stereo speakers (I don't have an actual guitar amp) and put the mic in front of the speaker, maybe back a foot to capture some room ambience. Is this actually a better way to record, to give the recording more of a live sound?

Chances are, it will sound like a guitar being recorded through 2 stereo speakers in a room.

I've tried it, and while it is more "realistic" than just recording direct, the "live/ambient" sound is more of a "bedroom/i'm-miking-my-guitar-through-speakers" sound. Maybe you'll have better luck though, after all I was using 2 smaller speakers and an omni mic.

DI > PC speakers...

If I absolutely HAVE to DI I do all of it clean, then eq the clean sound and add distortion later... You're really not gonna like the results of pc speakers through a radio shack mic...honestly.

Remember, if your acoustic space/recording gear isn't up to par:

You can ADD room sound to a track in-the-box, but you can't REMOVE room sound for a track in-the-box.

If my choices were to get crappy room sound or none at all, I'd opt for none. Then I'd use reverb to simulate an acoustic space, which isn't as good as the real thing, but a LOT better than what you're proposing...just my .02

I love DI guitars since Amplitube 2 was released. Give it a try. It's gonna get you closer to the guitar tone you want unless you have a great room, great mics and pres, a great amp and so on and so forth.

Is it really worth the money? I was thinking about pickin' it up, but haven't heard anything overwhelmingly great about it. I have teh trial, maybe I'll install it to see what's up...

Considering Amplitube2 allows you to change power tube configuration (various wattages of EL34/84/6l6s), preamp type, power amp type, cabinet models, microphones (57,87,421,441 etc), allows you to use two separate cabinets for one amp or two amps for one cabinet, gives you actually USEFUL in-plugin rack effects, the fact that if you turn up the amp and make it clip, it clips like in real life and gets spongy and more articulate...It's at LEAST worth trying the demo.

I can record a guitar in my garage (and get a good sound) and then go into Amplitube2 and match it QUITE closely just by copying the kind of amp, mic, cab setup I'm using and the settings on the amp.

Back