Electric Drum help

buryher17

I am looking to purchase an electric drumset within the next week or two and have a couple questions regarding it.

I already own a Dm5 trigger module and know how to work it fine (i've been using it with triggering drums for about 2 years now). So I'm hoping to just find a set up wihtout the module (which doesnt seem to pop up).

I am looking to buy a 5 peice electronic kit with 3 cymbals at least (hi hat, crash and ride). A pretty standard kit. I wanted to ask what drum set would you suggest for (new/used) for about $500.

The next question I have is, if it has a kick pad included, will a double pedal work on it as well? I have an iron cobra pedal but want to know if you need to buy a special type of trigger pad for a double pedal. (I dont think you would but just reassuring my thoughts).

Any models or brands would be a GREAT help! Thanks

I'd check ebay, you can get a 5 pc set of pads and mesh head v-drums for $500 no prob. I'd stick with Roland stuff, PD-8's are nice dual trigger pads going for about $45.. I don't really know anything about any other elec. drums besides Roland, but I know Roland inside out. I wheeled and dealed about 50 roland kits parts'ed em out on ebay, keeping a pad here, a cymbal there, I got a freakin huge 2-module 18pc v-drum kit for free, aside from the time.

There are a few different types of kick triggers. 2 are likely to come with a TD-3 kit, the KD-7 and the KD-8. You can hook any double pedal to the KD-8. TD-3 kits have been shipping stock with KD-8's for years now, shouldn't be a prob. The KD-7 is a weird little thing, you need a special beater connected to your pedal, and you can only have ONE pedal on it. To have a double bass setup, you'd beed 2 KD-7s. The KD-7's were standard issue for the really old kits like the TD-7/8/10. I see them less and less as the years go on.

yup even my cheap simmons is double capable.

That's awesome. thanks for the help. How do you like your simmons kit? I was thinking maybe just get the simmons cheap kit for $450 then get a nice mesh snare pad and put the snare pad of the simmons for another tom or something, maybe a cymbal instead.

How strudy is it? And how are the hi hats?

Thanks!

I'd check ebay, you can get a 5 pc set of pads and mesh head v-drums for $500 no prob. I'd stick with Roland stuff, PD-8's are nice dual trigger pads going for about $45.. I don't really know anything about any other elec. drums besides Roland, but I know Roland inside out. I wheeled and dealed about 50 roland kits parts'ed em out on ebay, keeping a pad here, a cymbal there, I got a freakin huge 2-module 18pc v-drum kit for free, aside from the time.

There are a few different types of kick triggers. 2 are likely to come with a TD-3 kit, the KD-7 and the KD-8. You can hook any double pedal to the KD-8. TD-3 kits have been shipping stock with KD-8's for years now, shouldn't be a prob. The KD-7 is a weird little thing, you need a special beater connected to your pedal, and you can only have ONE pedal on it. To have a double bass setup, you'd beed 2 KD-7s. The KD-7's were standard issue for the really old kits like the TD-7/8/10. I see them less and less as the years go on.

thanks so much for the help! this may be what I do. I'm either going to just buy the cheaper simmons package and use the included snare for a tom, then buy a nice roland mesh snare and a 3rd cymbal OR buy it all seperate.

My goal is to only spend $500, so If I buy it seperate I think it might be hard just because the clamps/ rack cost a pretty penny... plus 2-3 cymbal,4 tom/snare pads, and a kick pad

What do you have now? Converted acoustic drums?

I've used all types of electronic drums for live and in studio...converted acoustic, rubber pad v-kit, and a hart dynamic mesh kit.

The converted acoustic kit is what has worked the best for me. I have mesh heads on them with real cymbals. The other kits had both rubber and plastic e-cymbals.

That's awesome. thanks for the help. How do you like your simmons kit? I was thinking maybe just get the simmons cheap kit for $450 then get a nice mesh snare pad and put the snare pad of the simmons for another tom or something, maybe a cymbal instead.

How strudy is it? And how are the hi hats?

Thanks!

When I said cheap, I meant in comparison to the expensive rolands and yamahs. I have the sd9k which is the 1000 dollar version. I love it, it's very sturdy and the rack it rests on is pretty movable to mimic your real set up. I am not a very experienced drummer but I find the pads are pretty responsive and feel great (quiet too). The snare and cymbals are dual zone and the high hat has three levels of open controlled by the pedal (the pedal takes some getting used to though. Also the module on this thing is pretty incredible with the works and tons of customization. I'd recommend you get the sd5k or 7k except the quality from what I can tell is not the same. The pads on the 5 and 7 are slightly different with plastic rims which is terrible. I've heard the module isn't as good as well. If you really want to go this way you may want to save for the 9k, but definitely go to your local guitar center and try the 5, 7, and 9 out to see what you think
Good luck
James

Back