Either my Mic is broken or my Mic Cable is... how can I tell?

Pengu1n

So, after plenty of messing around with my mic and mic cable, I think I've come to the conclusion that one of them is broken.

I have an Audio Technica AT2020 Studio Microphone that came with a CBI LowZ Microphone Cable - 18.5 Foot that has very very poor ratings. Recently, I moved home for the summer, which involved shipping some of my equipment home. The mic stayed in my carry-on luggage, but the cable was just in a cardboard box that was shipped. When I got home, I was able to record some sound. Then, another night, my mic would only pick up tapping noises.

Tonight, I tried again, only to find I couldn't get it to work at all in Studio One Artist or Garageband. I'm running everything through a PreSonus FireStudio Mobile (Really hope that's not broken... just not thinking about that right now).

So, is there a good way to tell which one is broken? If not, I guess I'll just buy another mic cable, since that's the cheap one...

The best way is to use a known cable, cable tester or mic for comparison. My guess would be it's a faulty cable, they fail FAR more than mics do.

The best way is to use a known cable, cable tester or mic for comparison. My guess would be it's a faulty cable, they fail FAR more than mics do.

That's right. Use another mic to test the cable, or use another cable to test the mic. Easy Peasy...

It's alway's a good to have spare cables anyway for situations like these.

PS. Just checking, but did you turn the phantom power on?

Back