Egg crate foam

the only reason you would sue the nightclub would be for money.

what are dead people going to do with money anyway?

this whole thing is ridiculous. i see they sued the band that lit the things...that's pointed in the right direction...but the club owners?

what will they say "THEY SHOULDN'T BE USING A FLAMMABLE BUILDING!! WAHH WAHH BOO HOO!!"

the court is flammable...it could burn down too.

rockabilly1955 said:
wouldnt all foam be flammable?? :confused: this club had to be using real acoustic sound foam??

real products that should be used to help acoustics (ie. the fiberglass insulation everyone recommends around here) is fire retardent. Even stuff that is used to build your home has some sort of level of fire retardness (if that's a word). Take a lighter and see how long it takes you to light a section of your wall on fire. Now take that same lighter and light some egg crate foam that is attached to the wall....I bet you the egg crate foam lights a lot easier.

Egg crate foam is NOT made to be used to help your with the acoustics. Everyone for some reason thinks because of it's shape and similar looking material that it's the same thing as big recording studios use and that it must work. But in fact it does crap for your acoustics and is extremely flammable (when I get bored at work I take some of the foam we have at work and go out back to light it on fire....call me a pyro ;) )

Although I agree the fire marshall should have noticed that stuff and told them to take it down.

Last edited:
bennychico11 said:
real products that should be used to help acoustics (ie. the fiberglass insulation every recommends around here) is fire retardent.

Yup. I put up insulation. After I put up used ceiling tile, the 2'X4' kind, screwed to plywood. Deadened the sound like a dream. Of course, my garage was built in the 20's.... so, its already a tinderbox.

rockabilly1955 said:
wouldnt all foam be flammable?? :confused: this club had to be using real acoustic sound foam??
Auralex and all other acoustic foam is fire retardant. Egg crate foam is not.

It wasn't the foam - They just hung it using spray adhesives that same day (or the day before). *That* is what ignited like that - Fumes from spray adhesive.

Massive Master said:
It wasn't the foam - They just hung it using spray adhesives that same day (or the day before). *That* is what ignited like that - Fumes from spray adhesive.

are you sure about that?
several reports that I've read note that employees state the fire marshall never said anything about what they're calling "egg crate foam" that was installed on the walls 3 years prior to the concert.
That and each report is claiming they were charged with a misdemeanor of "installing flammable foam in violation of the state fire code," (link above). They're saying they used a polyurethane foam bought from American Foam Co. who even states the foam they sold them was intended for packing not soundproofing.

not saying that maybe the fumes didn't have anything to do with it, if maybe they had just recently reattached the foam....but one or the other was going to up in flames. I'm betting the foam didn't need any fuel to get started.

Last edited:
in the episode of CSI that was based around this they showed the inspector receipts for new foam and he was pretty busy so he took their word for it, then they spray painted over it. i doubt CSI would be wrong! have you ever seen them filter out background noise and boost the conversation in the background of a recording by moving one fader from -20 to 0? that shits serious.

bennychico11 said:
Take a lighter and see how long it takes you to light a section of your wall on fire. Now take that same lighter and light some egg crate foam that is attached to the wall....I bet you the egg crate foam lights a lot easier.

not recommended.

From someone whose band lost a member and nearly lost as second in that very fire... I recall that it was the certain TYPE of foam that was determined to be highly flammable. There are many different types of egg crate foam. They are not all the same. The very article states that it was made from a "highly flammable polyurethane foam".

Also of note, the building WAS NOT up to fire code. There were many violations that the West Warwick Fire Department did not make the effort to correct. Yes, I recall the foam had been installed some time prior to the fire.

And to cello_pudding... 100 people died, but there were also over 200 survivors, many of whom were badly injured. Do you think they couldn't benefit from a settlement? And what about the families of those who died?

Back