Egg carton Myth

Cody0103

Iv herd from a good number of people that if i just hang egg cartons on the wall, Sound bounce will be reduce greatly. So i was wondering if this was true, iv herd from some that its just a myth.

What do you think. Does it matter if i use cardboard crates? Should i put some Egg crate shaped insulation under the egg crates? Does this actiuoly work?

yeah...egg cartons are a bad idea. Not only the fire hazard but all they really do is knock off the very high frequencies.

The highs aren't really the problem in most cases. The lows are. Sure, the highs need to be tamed but there's alot more power in bass freqs and that's whats gonna mess with your tracking and your mixing.

Google some DIY bass traps (broadband absorption).
Best thing I ever did for my mixing was tune my room.

Peace.........Kel

I recorded someone a couple years ago who told me he once covered his friend's entire basement with egg cartons stuffed with cotton balls to "dampen the sound" and "sound proof the room." He said it worked so I just shook my head and smiled and left it at that haha.

I think most people get cardboard egg crates confused with acoustic egg crate foam like this (which still only works for specific frequencies):
gr5T494acoustic_foam.JPG

Do what dogbreath says and build/buy some bass traps. You're room /ears will thank you for it! ATSAcoustics is a great place to buy materials. They're the cheapest I've found anyway.

Iv herd from a good number of people that if i just hang egg cartons on the wall, Sound bounce will be reduce greatly. So i was wondering if this was true, iv herd from some that its just a myth.

What do you think. Does it matter if i use cardboard crates? Should i put some Egg crate shaped insulation under the egg crates? Does this actiuoly work?

It is a FACT that this is bull........ testing was done on egg cartons and they failed miserably as anything other than egg cartons......

A copy of that report was included in my book in the "Myths and Legends" chapter.

So don't waste your time or money...... anyone who sugests this is beyond acoustically ignorant......

Rod

It is a FACT that this is bull........ testing was done on egg cartons and they failed miserably as anything other than egg cartons......

A copy of that report was included in my book in the "Myths and Legends" chapter.

So don't waste your time or money...... anyone who sugests this is beyond acoustically ignorant......

Rod

What book did you write

Here's a quick test:

1) Put a cardboard box over your head.

2) Play a CD at performance levels, or have somebody play the drums.

Does the box prevent sound from getting to your ears? No?

Okay, now line the box with foam. Still hear it? Damn.

But it sounds GREAT, right? It doesn't? Damn.

Reactions: NL5
Awww, come ON, guys, doesn't anyone remember HEE HAW? They had egg cartons in the radio control room...

Actually, only thing I liked about that show was Roy Clark's guitar playing- and as good as it was, it STILL wasnn't good enough to get me to watch that turkey of a show.

I once wore and entire suit made from egg cartons.
I walked into a studio and they had me stand up against the wall for hours... I don't think that was anything to do with the suit, though.

next time i talk to "musicians" at radio shack about studio design i will just walk away. haha. Frikin tards trying to get me to burn my house down i guess.

yea. i wasnt there to talk about that. i was looking for some plugs for my stereo, and the conversation just happend to come up.

Back