efx

salty09

first let me introduce myself. my name is salt, I am from st louis mo. I am a 30 year old cs major.I have been recording on a tascam porta 07 for about the last 5 or 6 years. recently it blew up. being afraid of the amount of distraction I would have using my comp to record I aquired a second 4 track tape machine( when I get on the comp to get something done I end up miles away from where I need to be). Well now I am curios if there would be away to use my comp for signal processing such as compression running it through my 4 tracks effects loop. Im not really sure what is invovled to do this seeing as all I have learned so far in cs is c++ and I dont think that would help here. I am not concerned as much with the best quality as I am with just getting my ideas on to tape. There fore I am not really wanting to go out and buy a bunch of extra stuff. I have acess to a bunch of music software all though I have never used any of it or really have any idea what does what. I have a sound blaster live mp3 card. I am sure this is not a very high quality card for this but once again I am not too worried about perfect sound after all I did just buy another analog 4 track and did much of my recording before running direct. I also update alot of comps for guys whee I work so I was wondering what the very least mhz processor I would need to do this with. I would like to be able to have a seperate comp for this project if possible. Well I appoligize in advance if my lack of knowledge on this subject is tiresome and I thank you for any help you may have. oh yeah and I am sorry if there are words miss spelt but I tried to post this message a minute ago and netscape crashed and I have had to retype the whole thing and refuse to do so again. once again thx.

You know, I don't know of any products that act just as a signal processor...

You could theoretically route a signal through a recording application that hosts Direct X plug-ins, but until recently you couldn't hear the results in real-time as you were recording. However, with the new WDM driver architecture the typical latencies are now low enough that this can be done reasonably, if the applciation supports them. First out on the market with WDM suppoptr is Cakewalk's SONAR, literally just released within the last two days...

Back