Effects On Singing Vocals

hmm

Can anyone tell me what kind of effects they use on singing vocals. Because i never mix a singer song before. So if anyone can give me some tips i will appreciate it.

Usually some compression/limiting... often some eq and reverb. Always keep a "dry" copy of your vocal track so you can go back to scratch if you need to redo.

There's no simple "this is what you do to vocals" formula. Maybe some more info would help us understand exactly what you want to accomplish.

One thing though... it's better to "under do it" with the effects. Too much reverb will sound amateurish, and too much compression/limiting will turn it to mush.

Last edited:
I'd second everything Riffs said except the bit about compression: I almost never compress vocals these days, cuz I *want* the dynamic range of the original track. But I go through the vocal track a syllable at a time, and I use a volume envelope to bring down the peaks so that I can raise the volume of the track overall without clipping. Oh - also... before I adjust anything, I often set the volume envelope at - 6 dB. That gives me the ability to either cut the level of a particular sound, OR BOOST IT. More flexibility.

Back