effects myth?

nl553

hey what’s up everyone
I have been hearing around that there are ways to make your own effects( I don’t think this is true) if it is, then could someone give me some feedback on how to do this and if it is possible

Guitar effects, maybe. Reverbs, echo, etc? I doubt it. With the era of the LSIC, its infinitely cheaper to buy a name brand. Even a low end Lexicon is gonna have 20 years of R&D behind it. Unless you are an electronic genius.

If you are set on building stuff, check out PAIA. They do have a bunch of kits for different things.

Depends what you mean. For instance, using a DAW it is easy to create certain kinds of Delay-based effects (delay, phasing, chorus, etc) by copying a track to a new track, and sliding it around in time relative to the original.

And of course, you can always create your own reverb algorythms by using the REAL reverbs of various acoustic locales:
tiled bathroom, stairwell, cathedral, etc.

Interesting question. Do you mean building your own effects using discrete electronic components? If so sure you can. When I was extremely poor, I use to build Tone controls and Distortion effects using cheap electronic components. It was fun.
If this is what you want to do, you can pick up some manuals at Radio shack. But you might need some basic electronics knowledge. Good luck ;)

Fact is, if you know a thing or two about blueprinting, there are schematics for just about everything from guitar synths to vintage compressors to reverbs to all manner of effects out on the net. Key is, it's just a schematic - you have to blueprint it out into a functional breadboard.

Back