effects loop . . . ?

lysis

what's the difference between plugging effects pedals into the effects loop instead of plugging everything into the input on the amp? i play bass and use effects . . . was wondering if there was an advantage or anything.

Some effects are designed for use with line level signals, and the effects loop is the best approach for these.

When used before the amp, the initial amp preamp circuits are dealing with both the basic guitar sound and the effects. When using the effects loop approach, the initial amp is only seeing the guitar. The sound that results is different.

It's also the case that some effects units add noise, and sometimes this can be less of a factor when used in the effects loop, where the levels are already higher and noise levels sometimes lower.

Where you have the options, and your effects unit can work with either guitar or line level signals, try both and pick the one that sounds best to you.

Ed

Ed Dixon said:
Some effects are designed for use with line level signals, and the effects loop is the best approach for these.

Ed

How do you determine what your output signal level is for any given pedal/processor? Are most pedals different from line level signal?

Users manual will usually contain this info. Most guitar floor units do not require line level signals. Some rack units, line EQ gear, many times do assume line level signals.

I had both a Rockman rack EQ unit and a Behringer DEQ2496. The Rockman did fine with guitar level. The Behringer requires line level.

Ed

Most of the time old school pedals (boss DS-1, Ibanez tube screamer, etc) are guitar level. Rack effects are normally line level.
Back to the original question. For bass it might not make as big a difference. For distorted guitar it makes a big difference. You have to decide (for example) whether you want to distort a delayed signal or delay a distorted signal. The 2 ways have a different sound. For clean sounds it isn't that big of a difference, assuming your bass sound is clean.

Effects like flangers and phasers generally sound better in the effects loop than they do in the signal chain from guitar to amp. Wah pedals, on the other hand, sound better before the amp than they do in the effects loop.

So, it sounds as if rack effects are best in the effects loop, while floor pedals are best when put before the amp? I've never had rack effects, just a few pedals -- Dunlop wah, various Boss... pretty simple setup.

I guess it's all about experimenting.

Back