effects loop sounding horrible.......

SecondHeartbeat

I have a crate half stack with an effects loop that has one hole and you have to use a y cable for it.

but when i plug up more than one pedal it sounds horrible.

like my crybaby turns intoa horribly weak wah/volume pedal.

anybody got any help?

SecondHeartbeat said:
I have a crate half stack with an effects loop that has one hole and you have to use a y cable for it.

anybody got any help?

Wah pedals are best suited infront of the amp.

SecondHeartbeat said:
oh alright thanks.

but what a boss ds-1?

when i plug it up it just makes a little bit of crunch and feedback.

generally effects loops are for effects like chorus, delay, flanges, phaser.

run your distortions wha's and compressors and eq(sometimes) to the front of your amp where your guitar plugs in.

SecondHeartbeat said:

anybody got any help?

Effects loops are run at line level (~0 dB). Stomp boxes are designed to run at instrument level (~-60 dB). Some stomp boxes can handle the much hotter input and send out a correspondingly hot output, but most can't. Running stomp boxes in the effects loop often gets you nasty distortion (overdriving the input), much lower output level (feeding instrument level signal back into the return of the effects loop), or both.

Generally, effects loops are for rackmount line level effects; stompbox type effects usually don't do well in the effects loop.

ggunn said:
Effects loops are run at line level (~0 dB). Stomp boxes are designed to run at instrument level (~-60 dB). Some stomp boxes can handle the much hotter input and send out a correspondingly hot output, but most can't. Running stomp boxes in the effects loop often gets you nasty distortion (overdriving the input), much lower output level (feeding instrument level signal back into the return of the effects loop), or both.

Generally, effects loops are for rackmount line level effects; stompbox type effects usually don't do well in the effects loop.

And vice versa with using rackmount effects in your effects loop, it's a great way to blow out stuff. I was short 1 cord so i tried doing that with a BBE sonic maximizer and it started smoking :eek: . Luckily I returned it to gutiar center and i knew that i screwed up but didn't tell them that, so they relaced the USED one I had bought for a BRAND SPANKIN' new one. It was nice to fuck 'the man' for a change.

andycerrone said:
And vice versa with using rackmount effects in your effects loop, it's a great way to blow out stuff. I was short 1 cord so i tried doing that with a BBE sonic maximizer and it started smoking :eek: . Luckily I returned it to gutiar center and i knew that i screwed up but didn't tell them that, so they relaced the USED one I had bought for a BRAND SPANKIN' new one. It was nice to fuck 'the man' for a change.

??? The effects loop is for rackmount gear. I dunno how you blew up that Maximizer, but it wasn't from sending it line level signal.

ggunn said:
??? The effects loop is for rackmount gear. I dunno how you blew up that Maximizer, but it wasn't from sending it line level signal.

edit: using the rackmount gear through just your standard output jack. Whoops. :rolleyes:

andycerrone said:
edit: using the rackmount gear through just your standard output jack. Whoops. :rolleyes:

Oh. Yeah, well, feeding a speaker level signal to a line input will likely make it... um,... can you say, "go blooey"? I hope that's not too technical a term... ;^)

ggunn said:
Oh. Yeah, well, feeding a speaker level signal to a line input will likely make it... um,... can you say, "go blooey"? I hope that's not too technical a term... ;^)

Well I was a cable short, and I didn't have time to fuck around, so I took a chance. I was young and naive, shit happens. Whatev.

ggunn said:
Rule of thumb: if it's designed to go on the floor and controlled with your feet, it's generally better to put it before the amp than in the FX loop.
alright sweet.

but whenever I use the Digitech RP-80 it always creates horrible buzz when I switch to my distortion channels on my amp. It sounds fine if I am on my clean channel though.

anyway to fix that?

SecondHeartbeat said:
alright sweet.

but whenever I use the Digitech RP-80 it always creates horrible buzz when I switch to my distortion channels on my amp. It sounds fine if I am on my clean channel though.

anyway to fix that?

Don't switch to the distortion channel?

SecondHeartbeat said:
alright sweet.

anyway to fix that?

There are a number of things that can be happening. Are you using a single coil or humbucker guitar? Does this happen on all settings, or just the hi gain models? A regular (like a Strat) single coil pickup is going to generate buzz or hum when it goes through a lot of gain stages; it's the nature of the beast.

Also, this is somewhat of a budget unit, you know...

Just follow what Metalj has here and you will be okay, No fuzztones in the loop!!!

generally effects loops are for effects like chorus, delay, flanges, phaser.

run your distortions wha's and compressors and eq(sometimes) to the front of your amp where your guitar plugs in.
;)

Back