effects- advantages of Pre and Post

Titanship

I know I'm missing a fundamental concept on this. But, for what applications would I want to use pre or post?
Titan

pre: monitoring, recording busses,..
inserts: dynamics effects (compression, limiting)

Herwig

Ahh, I see. So, really, when I'm mixing, I should only use my effects "post." Unless I want to fade down, leaving only the effect in the mix.
Thanks DeadMan
titan

You have to consider too that a consoles Aux send may be:

Pre fader/Post EQ

Pre fader/Pre EQ

It is nice to have ALL the option, unfortunately you seldom get that. A club I work at sometimes just got a A&H 3300 console, and the Aux sends are set to post eq whether it is pre/post fader!!!....:( Not good for monitor sends. Not always good for effects sends either!

There is a way for it to be switched to Pre fader/pre eq, so that the Aux comes direct from the mic pre. But then it can be set to be Post Fader/Post EQ. It is an internal jumper on each channel that dictates this.

Anyway, there are times when I want the reverb send to be pre eq, because like maybe on a snare drum, I might be eq'ing the hell out of it to get a lot of crack, but I want the reverb to have a more lush sound. I would need pre eq on the aux send for this. Same could be said for a vocal send to a delay!

There is no right way to have the aux sends. Pre eq, post eq, pre fader, post fader, any combo of those. Just depends on what you want. The nice thing about pre eq is that you can always eq the aux send going to the effect if you want. If it is post eq, you might have a tougher time undoing to eq.

I know I didn't offer much in the way of "do this or do that", but that is my point. It really depends on what you WANT, or NEED. :)

Ed

Back