Edrums (MIDI) to DFH in Sonar?

jaykeMURD

I sit on you.
Well I'm stuck.

I've got my DTXtreme II Kit hooked up via MIDI (Delta 1010LT) and I was hoping to trigger the samples in Drumkit From Hell, then recording that into Sonar.

I should mention this is one of my first experiences with MIDI, and my absolute first at software triggering.

I can't get anything to work. Do I make a MIDI track in Sonar, then open the DFH patch as an effect? How do I even know I'm receiving any information from my module?

I've browsed my owners manual for the DTXtreme II, and I didn't see anything about configuring MIDI, so I assume once it's plugged in it's sending signals?

I know my MIDI works, because I use it for my V-Amp Pro.

Do I record a MIDI track in sonar, then load DFH afterwards?

As you can tell, I'm lost and don't know what to do.

Here the pieces lie, yet I'm unable to get them together.:confused:

Do you have just DFH or DFHS? You should be able to load DFH into the synth rack of Sonar and then set it to receive midi from the midi in on your sound card. Assuming you have everything assigned to the right midi not, it should work quite well.

Do you have just DFH or DFHS? You should be able to load DFH into the synth rack of Sonar and then set it to receive midi from the midi in on your sound card. Assuming you have everything assigned to the right midi not, it should work quite well.

It's actually DFH:S.

So by snyth rack do you mean a MIDI track in Sonar? I've never used software synths so keep that in mind.

Well I'm stuck.

I've got my DTXtreme II Kit hooked up via MIDI (Delta 1010LT) and I was hoping to trigger the samples in Drumkit From Hell, then recording that into Sonar.

I should mention this is one of my first experiences with MIDI, and my absolute first at software triggering.

I can't get anything to work. Do I make a MIDI track in Sonar, then open the DFH patch as an effect? How do I even know I'm receiving any information from my module?

I've browsed my owners manual for the DTXtreme II, and I didn't see anything about configuring MIDI, so I assume once it's plugged in it's sending signals?

I know my MIDI works, because I use it for my V-Amp Pro.

Do I record a MIDI track in sonar, then load DFH afterwards?

As you can tell, I'm lost and don't know what to do.

Here the pieces lie, yet I'm unable to get them together.:confused:

Welcome to hell! Just kidding, while it is a bit confusing in the beginning it does get a bit easier as you work your way through. Once you get it, I can tell you it is well worth the trouble.

Since you said this is your first experience with MIDI there are some basic things you should check.

First, make sure SONOR is receiving MIDI information from the drum brain. You can simply do this by trying to record (on a MIDI track :p) a couple of bars of some basic drumbeats; anything will do. If you are unsure what MIDI channel the drum brain is transmitting on (most likely CH10) you can select omni for the input (omni looks at all channels for data). Obviously, if you see MIDI notes then move on to loading DFHS plug-in.

It sounds like you are having configuration troubles in the MIDI assignments with in SONAR.

There are templates available for SONAR on the Toontrack support site that will help you. In addition there are CAL (macro) files that convert General MIDI (GM) into DFH extended MIDI (they shifted some standard notes around). It is important to note that while the DFHS can support GM, there are features that require the use of the DFHS extended version of MIDI to access. You can also use the learn function in Superior, it does work well.

In addition there is a document (BaffyMulti.zip) on toontrak that provides step-by-step instruction for getting multiple tracks (combo of mono & stereo) of drums. However, I would suggest getting comfortable with your set up before complicating matters with the Multi configuration. You will want to use the Multi-Configuration since it gives you considerably more options.

OK, I've set everything up in Sonar.
I've got my MIDI track set to Omni Input.

MIDI is physically hooked up - correctly.

I arm the MIDI track, record and BAM, nothing!

I've even tried selecting different MIDI channels (even 10), all with no result.

Perhaps I'm overlooking something simple....I'm looking through my module manual, and there is no clear answer to whether or not there's a static on/off setting...

This is hell.

Does it record midi at all into the track? If it does, make sure you are monitoring the midi track and it is routed to the plugin correctly. If not, then your input is still not set up right

OK, I've set everything up in Sonar.
I've got my MIDI track set to Omni Input.

MIDI is physically hooked up - correctly.

I arm the MIDI track, record and BAM, nothing!

I've even tried selecting different MIDI channels (even 10), all with no result.

Perhaps I'm overlooking something simple....I'm looking through my module manual, and there is no clear answer to whether or not there's a static on/off setting...

This is hell.

I am not familiar with the Yamaha brain but I did look at the manual on-line. In searching the manual, there is something called "To Host" and it includes a switch on the back of the brain. It says you cannot use MIDI & "To host" at the same time?

Do you have anything hooked up to the "To host" connector? Make sure the switch is in the MIDI position as well.

After you recorded the MIDI track did use the piano roll (I think that's what it's called) in SONAR to see if there are MIDI notes. MIDI is data not audio so you will not hear anything if you are trying to play back the track.

You might also want to download a free tool, MIDI OX. It will show you the midi information, if there is any, on any given MIDI channel. It is easy to use and it is useful. You can find it here: http://www.midiox.com/

One last thing, make sure you have MIDI OUT on drum brain going into the MIDI IN on the Delta 1010

Hang in there...

Last edited:
Alright, we've got MIDI!

I finally was able to record my MIDI from my module in Sonar.

So now I see all those weird MIDI "events" in the track, like I should.

Cool, I'm making progress.

So now, how do I hear anything?

How do I route that through/into DFHS?

Last edited:
Cool! :D;):)

Now load the VST into Sonar. I'm not at my studio so, I'm going off memory so I may not be exactly right but, you should get the general idea. When you open the plug-in (DFHS) you should see the "Choose configuration" window. Here you want to select General MIDI (I think the default is Superior). If you select the default, the midi mapping will not be correct. This is where you should see if Toontrack has MIDI maps for your drum brain but that's another story :D

Anyhow, once you choose the configuration DFHS main window should open, That's where you can select the kits, drums, & mic bleeds. Select a kit and then the "Main" button (bottom right of window). Look at the DFHS manual, it describes all this.

Back in Sonar you've should have rerouted the midi output into DFHS. There should be additional channels (tracks in sonar) once the vst loads. Now here is where I get sketchy - one of them is the vst output, that needs to get routed to one of the audio outputs on the delta 1010. If you've slected the right output your done...that's it. Play the midi file and look at the DFH main window you should see each pad light up as it reads each midi note.

Note: the first time you play the midi file the audio will be choppy because DFHS needs to play thought the entire track so it knows which samples it needs to load so let the track play completely once. On the second playing, you should hear your drum track. In addition, if you turn on the bleeds (or add anything else)you will need to let the track play through once again.

Good luck but it sounds like you are on your way.

Last edited:
For those using ezdrummer

You can trigger ez-drummer using an electronic kit as well. In fact Toontrack elected to use general Mindi for this. However, ezdrummer samples are processed and lack some of the control that DFHS & DFHS C&V provide. I will say, ez-drummer does have a much easier interface then the Superior product line.

Thank you so much Simman, you've been a huge help!

OK, so I've figured out how to open up DFHS and I've got sound!

Now I'm faced with yet another problem:

All the parts are messed up, ie: kick hit plays snare, snare hit plays cymbal, etc.

The basic drumbeat I had recorded is now a jumbled mess of wrong sounds.

So now I assume my MIDI map is wrong.

When you mentioned the setup screen in DFHS, one never pops up when I load it up in Sonar. However, I can open DFHS standalone and get to a configuration screen. Do settings made in the standalone DFHS translate into it's patch in Sonar?

Are there different versions of DFHS? Mine has "East West" labels on it.

Thank you so much Simman, you've been a huge help!

OK, so I've figured out how to open up DFHS and I've got sound!

Now I'm faced with yet another problem:

All the parts are messed up, ie: kick hit plays snare, snare hit plays cymbal, etc.

The basic drumbeat I had recorded is now a jumbled mess of wrong sounds.

So now I assume my MIDI map is wrong.

When you mentioned the setup screen in DFHS, one never pops up when I load it up in Sonar. However, I can open DFHS standalone and get to a configuration screen. Do settings made in the standalone DFHS translate into it's patch in Sonar?

Are there different versions of DFHS? Mine has "East West" labels on it.

No problem, glade I could help ;) I spent a lot of time beating my head on the wall myself so, I know how frustrating it can be. Toontrack has great sounding products but the tech support blows and they get real pissy if you ping them on their stuff. You are left with trying to get help from the user community.

It definitely sounds like you're using the Superior settings. When you load the vst (I think its the synth rack) the first thing you should get is the small window with a text box (which I believe is a dropdown list). This is where you select the General Midi setting. I'm not sure why you're not seeing that but there is a "File Menu" button (lower right side of the window) on the Main page in DFHS (the one that shows the pads for the drums). You can choose to reload and that will get you back to the setting window. The DFHS Manual shows these windows in fairly good detail.

Nonetheless, it sounds like you're real close.

FYI - East West is a distributor for Toontrack (DFHS)

Last edited:
Well it's starting to sound like something (DFHS) wasn't installed correctly.

I'm gonna try uninstalling it then reinstalling.

Thanks.

Back