Edirol Monitors

tonyA

Has anyone seen or tried these $119 to $139 self powered digital/analog monitors (with digital and analog inputs - 10W to 20w) and evaluated them for use as near-field monitors? Are they flat enough for near-field use or just as reference monitors. Their size and price sure deserve an investigation, don't you think?

10-20W is small sound. These compare more like PC speakers to me. Kinda toyish. I dont care for them and would'nt recommend them for recording purposes.

Most listening is done in the FIRST watt. What matters is the quality of that watt. Not saying that these are any good.

ooheadsoo said:
Most listening is done in the FIRST watt. What matters is the quality of that watt. Not saying that these are any good.

Huh ? Can you explain this ?

BTW I tried the edirol monitors a couple of years ago and brought them right back. You can do better that that for a couple hundred bucks

Typical listening levels are around 70-80db at PEAK (ok, maybe 90db at peak.) Most speakers today have sensitivity ratings of over or around 88db per watt @ 1 m. That means at your typical nearfield position, 99.9% of your listening is done within the first watt of power. That's why some people go for horn loaded speakers coupled with a 10 watt SET tube amp.

Genelec Monitors

A few Genelec near-field monitors start at 25W, would 5W really make that much of a difference? Well, all things being equal, which we know isn't.

The rule of thumb is that every doubling of power yields 3db of sound pressure.

1w=88db
2w=91db
4w=94db
8w=97db
16w=100db
32w=103db
etc.

Horn loaded speakers with sensitivity over 100db/watt@1m go all day within 1 watt. Even with a standard box speaker of 88db will get you pretty far with a 20wpc amp. It all depends on the quality of those watts, not quantity.

Loudness Doubling

Thanks ooheadsoo! Learn something everyday, I guess. So I guess the edirol monitors (being marketed by Musiciansfriend as a studio monitor) is worth investigating.

But isn't it that sound or loudness/volume doubles every 3db, like 91db is twice as loud as 88 db, right? I thought l learned that from somewhere.

I think TECHNICALLY it's twice as loud but it's not perceived by our ears to be twice as loud. By our ears, I think there's some stuff with the Fletcher-Munson curve modifying our perception at different frequencies and it all came out to an average of something like 6db per doubling of perceived loudness, but don't quote me on that.

Oh, I'm not saying edirol is any good, btw. I'm just saying that low power amps aren't always bad quality. Low powered amps of good quality tend to be expensive as well :P

tonyA said:
Has anyone seen or tried these $119 to $139 self powered digital/analog monitors (with digital and analog inputs - 10W to 20w) and evaluated them for use as near-field monitors? Are they flat enough for near-field use or just as reference monitors. Their size and price sure deserve an investigation, don't you think?

My band got a pair with a Studio Startup kit.

They are really no better than basic PC speakers.

I have a pair of Harmon Kardon Pc speakers that sound better.

I only use them as playbacks after recording a practice session.

Save a little and get a set of Yorkville YSM1s

Good Luck

Malcolm

I have a pair of the 10w (UA-10d) digitals.

They sound "okay"...but I'm not convinced that they sould "true".

I think the inclusion of bass/treble controlls on the monitors may allow for uneven coloration of the sound....

For what I'm doing right now, they are okay...given the price...but I will want to move on to something more "professional" before too long.

-sV

Hey, whatever floats yer freakin boat. All I know is I just got me a pair of Event Studio Precision 8's They are 280W each. They will certainly wipe the floor with any of the Edirol pieces'o'crap.

I tracked and mixed this and this using the Edirol monitors. Nobody commented on them in the mp3 clinic, so I don't know if the monitors resulted in suck ass mixes!

Back