econo computer card?

dmiller91

I couldn't believe it, it's been 1 year since I looked at Musician's Friend, and it looks like we are getting closer to easy home recording.

I have a radio shack multi track, a mic and preamp, and I want to be either to hook up either guitar mics/vocal mics and maybe even midi. I already own cakewalk.

Which of these low cost plug-ins can I add to my computer for inputs? Is it better to buy a card or go USB? i could do either.

I don't want to spend a lot (of course)

Excited in WI!
Diane

dmiller91 said:
I couldn't believe it, it's been 1 year since I looked at Musician's Friend, and it looks like we are getting closer to easy home recording.

I have a radio shack multi track, a mic and preamp, and I want to be either to hook up either guitar mics/vocal mics and maybe even midi. I already own cakewalk.

Which of these low cost plug-ins can I add to my computer for inputs? Is it better to buy a card or go USB? i could do either.

I don't want to spend a lot (of course)

Radio Shack makes a multi-track recorder? :confused:

Welcome to the forum.

Closer? We're here! You have a computer, a mic, a preamp, and apparently a guitar. You also already have "Cakewalk." Maybe you could give us more specifics, like which Cakewalk software you own, what kind of mic, preamp, guitar, etc., what you want to "midi," how much you want to spend.

Multi-track MIXER. CHEEP. not recorder. my bad.

I use cakewalk... start with mic to preamp into Radio Shack mixer into computer = 1 track in cakewalk.

Would love to record guitar one track/voice 2nd track all into the soundboard at the same time.

I have an AT4033a mic, decent. I have a preamp like I said, and my mixer allows me to use headphones to hear it when I record. But I see these cards in Musician's Friend... for 200-300$ It looks like preamp is included, plus multiple input capability.

I could trash the Radioshack mixer and all the other garbage? (takes up a lot of space) and use the box like I have the mixer.

I want to use cakewalk as my mixer? I have ProAudio 9... okay so I've had it awhile.

:-)
Diane

accoustic guitar. Pretty much folkie kind of stuff.

I basically want to improve my singing, plus make some mp3's to bore the family with.

Why are you so hooked on Musician's Friend?

There are other/better places to buy.

Check out:
zzounds.com
samedaymusic.com
newegg.com

OK, so you got a decent mic, decent software, a computer, and a joke of a mixer. Lose the mixer. You also didn't mention what kind of preamp you have.

You still didn't say how much you wanted to spend, so I'll just give you the advice I gave someone else:

Go here
Scroll down to this:
M-Audio Delta 410 4-input 10-output Audio card with S/PDIF - RETAIL

And then check this.

That would give you a ten-channel mixer with good preamps and a four-input soundcard for just over $200. If you can't come up with that all at once, you could always buy the card first and the mixer later, since you already have some kind of preamp.

ART Tube MP. That's the preamp.

Can I run my Sony DAT into this card too? $200 sounds like an ideal expense!

Thanks for the tips!
Diane

p.s. I only know Musician's Friend cause they keep sending me magazines!

Okay, so it looks great! $300 is cool. Tell me then, I assume the mixer goes into the card?

I only have the Radio Shack cause someone gave it to me. They didn't take me seriously.

Diane

Pigtail.... is that messy? I'm wondering if it costs more to get a card that has the connections bound in a box? Does this same brand sound card sell such a thing?

Diane

And now I'm looking hard. Looks like if I can afford it, I'd probably want 10 inputs into the computer to match the yamaha 10 out? So would I move up to the 1010 Delta?

What if I spend a little more on the mixer?

What would you recommend then... say 5-600 $ total?

Thanks for the help! I bought the mixer, and I upgraded the card to the Delta 66, I added a shure sm58 (which I've always wanted), all for $500, which is fine by me!

Diane

Back