Echoes

Cool development - I really enjoyed the entry of the pizz low strings. I shan't comment on tone etc as this is your sketch for full orchestra.
I look forward to hearing the rest.

And 'echoes' is a most appropriate title with the call and response structure that undperpins the whole piece.

I thought this was a very cleverly constructed piece . . . just as I was beginning to get impatient the change I was seeking occurred and restored my interest.

This piece teases . . . sucks you in so that you wonder where it was going to go next, and is highly satisfactory for my thrill-questing brain.

The lower strings are great, providing a welcome counterpoint, though perhaps needing a bit less reverb or a bit more definition.

The build-up at 2.25 and that change is awesome . . . so much drama in there.

But my favourite bit in the whole piece is that short two-beat bar at about 3.14 on that bass run down!

A great piece that I reckon provides a great intro for a four movement piece.

Thanks for listening, Ray and Gecko.:cool:

A great piece that I reckon provides a great intro for a four movement piece.
This is actually the 3rd mvmt. At least I think it is.:D

But my favourite bit in the whole piece is that short two-beat bar at about 3.14 on that bass run down!

Yeah, after 216 measures of 3, I thought it would be nice to have one in two. Keep the players on their toes.:D

I listened earlier today, but didn't get the chance to comment.

Everything sounds cool. Enjoyed the slow build (avatar duly noted) and I didn't realize how much it was building until it ended.

I love symmetry, so when it first starts with strings on the left and center, I was curious how the right side will fill out... then the timpani. I know it's diffcult to find the right balance with very different sounding instruments, but you did.

Simply wonderful. Thanks for posting it for us!!

Simply epic, that's all I can say, David.
I love the way it builds up. Somehow it reminded me of Vivaldi's Four Seasons.
Yep, this is where the real musicians shine thru......
Well done is an understatement, this is simply magnificent. Thank you!

Joey :):):):)

Thanks for listening Chili, Sailjunkie and Joey.:cool:

I love symmetry, so when it first starts with strings on the left and center, I was curious how the right side will fill out... then the timpani.

The recording is trying to imitate a real world concert, where the low stuff is on one side and the high is on another. BTW it's a loud pizzicato bass, not a timpani, although it does sound timpani-ish.

If I had my druthers I would stick the bass in the middle. I would also have the violins set in stereo instead of just the left side. The violins on the right are actually violas, which I played on violin. In real life they will be much deeper.

That was great to listen to. I'd like to hear all 4 movements!
It reminded me a little of Michael Nyman in its repetitive nature, immersing you in a groove. I have to admit though, towards the end I was ready for a change of some kind - maybe the next movement offers that:o

Impressive stuff though.

intomusic

Geez...how cool is this? Bring this to St. Louis and I'll get back to the symphony! (Don't like David Robertson so much, so I canceled the subscription). But this I would love to see performed. I can't wait to hear the other movements--this is so intense and concentrated it leaves tons of room for balance and contrast.

Sorry if it sounds trite, but, DavidK, you've done it again!

DavidK,

Consistently awesome :). I like the chromatic pass on the basses during one section. Sounds very Beatles esque, probably just because they liked to write those chromatic (passing style) tones. Forgive my lack of theory vocab!

Please keep up the good work :)

Eric

I've missed your music, David. Always seems to be on the cutting edge.

I thought the piece was a little repetitious and was rewarded by the resolution at about 2:42 to the major chord. I, too, liked the descending pizzicato bass.

The overall feeling that I get from the piece is "stark." That's the only way I can describe it. It's ironic because it is so busy. Starkly busy.;)

I look forward to hearing the other movements.

Wig:)

Thanks for the comments Greg, Xeries, intomusic, Eric, W Strat.:cool:

I have to admit though, towards the end I was ready for a change of some kind

I thought the piece was a little repetitious

I think I agree.:cool:

The piece is coming off as "minimalistic", and thats not my intention, I want it to be "virtuosic". I think part of the problem is that I made it too easy to play.

I'm writing this with a real-world scenario in mind. If this get's played, it will probably have only one rehearsal, which is common. However, I need to give my colleagues more credit, as they can sight-read like monsters and play much harder stuff. I am going to revise it and put in more "licks".:cool:

Awesome David!
I had a dream recently that I was playing a violin. I think I'm gonna pick up a cheapo.
Maybe a viola instead. Violins seems so little!:o

Thanks for the comments Greg, Xeries, intomusic, Eric, W Strat.:cool:

I think I agree.:cool:

The piece is coming off as "minimalistic", and thats not my intention, I want it to be "virtuosic". I think part of the problem is that I made it too easy to play.

I'm writing this with a real-world scenario in mind. If this get's played, it will probably have only one rehearsal, which is common. However, I need to give my colleagues more credit, as they can sight-read like monsters and play much harder stuff. I am going to revise it and put in more "licks".:cool:

I think you're moving in the right direction, David ... but you haven't nailed the "sonic feel" you're going for.

This feels a little too "direct" miked ... versus "orchestral" ... which is really difficult to break out of because, well ... it's direct miked.

The drier "room" sound itself "adds" to the minimalist feel of the recording ... whereas if you were actually listening to a full blown orchestra doing this live, there would be SO much more "air" around the sound, which would give it a more "virtuosic" (read: BIG) lift.

I'm in agreement w/ the comment that by the end of the piece, the back/forth element to the work wears a little ...

In truth, I was at times waiting for the "melody" to begin, as this seemed an intense "bed" of music, and I kept waiting for it to break out eventually into a motif I could hook my ear on.

Perhaps as you revise, that thought is something you can keep in the back of your mind.

ALL the above crit aside, this stands very well on its own ... I've no nits w/ what it is ... only that I don't believe you are where you want to be yet.

Best,

Kev-

This sounds great david!

I think it builds nicely throughout and works by itself, but would love to hear it in the context of the entire piece. I loved the little time signature shift around the 3 min. mark which added some tension towards the end.

I have no suggestions really, but wanted to acknowledge your efforts and let you know I listened and enjoyed :D :cool:!

Thanks for commenting Beez, Kev and Heatmiser.

This feels a little too "direct" miked ...

To be honest, I didnt put much effort into production, it was more of a test to see how thing would work.

In truth, I was at times waiting for the "melody" to begin,

Good.:D:eek::cool: That's somewhat what I want. Again, it's entirely out of context because it is the 3rd part of 4, but I want it a bit unnerving. I kept it short for that purpose.

I loved the little time signature shift around the 3 min. mark which added some tension towards the end.

I might try some more of those.:cool:

Mix wise - it's pretty much right on. The main part(s) sit forward and the accompanying parts are audible but never imposing. Playing is top notch as always - and the recording has a nice tone - especially the high parts.

Good title - reflecting the echos within the piece.

As with all of your compositions, I listen a few times to enjoy all the various parts some being subtle or complex. The comment about repetition is cool, that was my impression the first time I listened. But again, you need to hear this more than once to "get into it".

I found it invoked a lot of tension, with sprinklings of slight release here and there. I imagined trying to walk into a windstorm - needing all your strength for each step.

This will sound good with a full orchestra.

It will be interesting to see how you work out the last movement with such power in this part.

:D:D:D:D

Back