echo talk mic

fazil

A few days ago I bought a cheapo "echo talk" microphone toy. (you know the big "microphone" toy that sounds like it has a reverb in it)
I thought I could experiment with it using it as a "reverb unit".

I taped one ear of a sennheiser headset on the back side and put an mxl v69m in front of it. I tried a snare track from last session and, as I expected, it sounded to "boingy" and there was very little effect. Then I tried it the other way round and there was even less reverb.
What I did notice was that the kick bleed trough the snare mic, which was very thin and almost unnoticable, came upfront and sounded really deep - almost like a subkick mic. So I send the kick track trough the headphone and mixed the miked signal in with the original. The low end was amazing !
I guess this is mostly because the sennheiser tends to sound bassy but it's definitly not the same as sending the headphone straight into the mic. Somehow this plastic tube amplifies the low end :) (hey it's a toob, it's gotta sound warm :))
It's not something I'd use every mix session but it certanly works for a kick or bass that could use some extra low end.

Anybody had any experiments with something familiar ?

greetings -Arno

Back