Echo Mia

mjhigg

Well, I made the first big step toward having a decent PC recording setup, I bought a new PC to replace this Packard Bell PIECE-OF-*%&$!! Now I'm in the market for a soundcard, and a preamp.

OK, Soundcards. Which one will it be? I haven't got much $$$

Right now I have a regular Creative PC512 Soundcard that I don't think sounds too shabby, but all it has is one 1/8" input, and after reading some of the other rantings on this site about what an amazing difference there is with a real PC recording soundcard, I've decided this is really something I should get involved in.

After doing some research, I have found the Lexicon Core card at what appears to be a steal on ZZounds as well as Musician's Friend. Then I saw the multiple problems that people are having with it on this site, and it all made sense. I still am considering this, but...

Then I noticed that the Echo Mia is in the same price range, but nothing came up when I searched this forum. I know it doesn't have a breakout box, or very advanced features compared to some of the other cards, but it's balanced, it's 24-bit, it's 96 whatever (I'm still new to all of this remember). I'm only recording by myself, so it looks like it could fit my needs. Anyone out there have any experience with this card, or advice to offer?

Also, as far as preamps go, it seems the ART is the way to go for a low budget. However, I am recording with an SM58, and a Sennheiser vocal mic. I don't have a condenser mic, and I really need to use both of these mics together to get nice depth and clarity, but the TubeMP is mono! Anyone have any advice as to whether I should give the stereo PreSonus BlueTube some consideration, or a different tube preamp, or should I just bite the bullet and buy two TubeMPs?

Echo soundcards are a pretty good value for the $$, especially on the low end. The Mia is new ( early February I believe ); if it has the same A/D and D/A converters as Gina and Darla it would be a very good deal - anyone used one yet? As for the pre-amp - I think that until you get a conderner mic the pre-amp is an unnecessary expense. You should be able to plug each mic direct to the Mia ( maybe an xlr - 1/4" adapter ) and record each to a separate track. Good luck.

the mia does not have preamps - I don't that you'll be able to get a useable signal plugging your mics directly into the card....you would need some sort of preamp to bring the mic signal up to a "line" level...

I have recently purchased the Delta44 (24bit/96kHz) and am extremely pleased with the quality of recording that I am able to get with it - but it doesn't sound like you really need 4 ins/outs so this card w/breakout box may be overkill for ya...but for the price it's really great

I also have the Presonus Bluetube and have no complaints. It sounds great - it can be a bit noisy if you drive to much signal through the tube - but I've had really good results with it. A friend of mine has a dual Tube MP (around $250 I believe) and the Bluetube compares favorably to this. It really adds some nice warmth to whatever you're recording. Plus you get 2 channels for $150.

Echo Products

I'm using an Echo Gina24 and have a Mia on order (due the first week of April...so says Musician's Friend)

And I anticipate the Mia's audio to be at least as good as the Gina24, which is considerable.

I'm running my mikes and keys into a Mackie VLZ1202 PRO and running from there into the Gina24 (balanced)
and have no problems with noise. Everything's set about unity and even with the mixer outs cranked I'm getting almost no noise floor.

I'm very pleased with Echo products...

FYI I've used it under Window's 98 (First Edition), and now Windows ME alongside a soundblaster live with absolutely no problems.

-L

Back